CourseShare FAQ for Students

Do you want to learn a language the University of Minnesota doesn’t currently teach? Maybe you can!

The Big Ten Academic Alliance CourseShare program uses technology to receive less commonly taught language and culture courses with partner institutions when an equivalent course is not offered at the University of Minnesota. This means that University of Minnesota students can enroll in a variety of courses from other Big Ten universities.

What languages are available?

See the class list, or look for the LANG subject on Schedule Builder.  Don’t see the language you’re interested in studying? Ask! We might be able to find an institution that is currently offering it.

Who is eligible to take CourseShare courses?

All students enrolled in a degree-seeking program at the University of Minnesota are eligible. That includes undergraduate and graduate students.

Will these languages fulfill CLA’s second language requirement?

You can complete the CLA language requirement by passing a fourth-semester language course worth at least four credits with a C- or better. Contact your advisor with any questions.

Is there funding available?

See CLA's Scholarships for Language Students for more information. View the full list of scholarships. Any that include "And more!" in the Language(s) column may be applicable to students enrolled in CourseShare courses. The FLAS Fellowship program is probably the most commonly used funding opportunity for CourseShare language courses. 

Are these online courses?

Most courses are remote, and you can connect from home. Some classes will require you to join in a scheduled room on campus for all or some of the sessions. See the course information for details. 

I am not a beginner. How do I get placed in a language sequence?

Contact for information. The process varies by language.

Is the schedule the same as regular University of Minnesota courses?

Generally not. Different universities have different academic schedules. Please note the “meeting dates” for the class in Schedule Builder. Please also expect some variation in academic breaks, holidays and final exam periods. In addition, many universities in the Big Ten are in the Eastern time zone, not the Central time zone. The scheduled time for LANG courses have been converted to Central time in Schedule Builder.

I have disability accommodations at my current university. How do I request to use my accommodations for a CourseShare Course?

If you are a University of Minnesota student enrolled in a CourseShare course at another university and would like to explore using disability accommodations for your cours(es), please contact the Language Center at

If you are a student from another university who is taking a course at the University of Minnesota (UMN) through CourseShare and would like to explore using disability accommodations for your cours(es), please contact the UMN Disability Resource Center at

What else should I know about CourseShare courses?

Shortly before CourseShare courses begin, registered students will receive a new email account from the sending university, and will use that account to access course resources. The sending university may use different technology tools than the University of Minnesota, or those tools may be configured differently. 

How do I get started?

Students may register for already scheduled courses just like any other course under the LANG designator. For all other options, email as soon as possible.

What resources are available at the Language Center for CourseShare students?

  • The TandemPlus program is open for all students, including those enrolled in CourseShare courses. It’s a great opportunity to practice the language you’re learning with native speakers and meet other students.
  • Jones Hall small rooms with conferencing equipment can be reserved by students for class meetings.
  • The Multimedia Lab is open for all language students and is one of the few labs on campus with headsets.