Thank you for your interest in the University of Minnesota Choirs. We have seven different choral ensembles that serve a range of experience and ability. We have a place for all singers interested in singing in a choir. To best understand how to get involved, please read the information below. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are two different types of choral ensembles at the University of Minnesota: Auditioned Ensembles and Non-Auditioned Campus Singers Ensembles. All of our ensembles are open to all students, regardless of major or college affiliation. Auditions for the Spring 2018 Semester will take place in early December.
Experienced singers with a significant background in choral singing looking for a rigorous and exciting musical experience will find our auditioned ensembles most-rewarding. Auditioned ensembles usually perform in 3-4 concerts each semester and may also be called to perform for special concerts and conducting recitals. These ensembles include:
MUS 3230, section 001- Women's Chorus, meets MW 3:35-5:05pm
MUS 5240, section 001 - University Singers, meets MWF 12:45-2:15pm
MUS 5240, section 002 - Chamber Singers, meets MWF 12:45-2:15pm
All students interested in joining University Singers, University Chamber Singers or Women’s Chorus for the first time must audition. Returning University and Chamber Singers and Women’s Chorus students need not audition.
The 10-minute audition will consist of the following:
- A prepared solo - choose a piece that showcases your voice. An accompanist will be provided. If you do not have a piece, we will ask you to sing a simple melody along with the accompanist, (e.g., My Country 'Tis of Thee). A cappella solos are not acceptable.
- Vocalizing - we will lead you through a few exercises to determine your vocal range
- Tonal Memory - we will play notes on the piano and ask you to sing them back.
- Sight reading - you will be expected to sight read a few short passages of music.
Spring 2019 Choral Audition Schedule
|Monday, December 3, 2018||10:00 am–12:00 pm
2:30 pm–3:30 pm
|Ferguson Hall, Room 118|
Any student can register for any of the Campus Singers sections or Gospel Choir without audition. Register early, as these ensembles often fill up. Ensembles include:
- MUS 3200, section 001 - Campus Singers Gold (Mixed Ensemble) meets Tuesday/Thursday from 12:15-1:15pm
- MUS 3200, section 002 - Campus Singers Maroon (Mixed Ensemble), meets Mondays from 6:00-8:00pm
- MUS 3200, section 003 - Campus Singers Mosaic (Women's Choir), meets Wednesdays from 6:00-8:00pm
- MUS 3200, section 004 - Campus Singers Men's Chorus, meets Monday/Wednesday from 3:35-5:05pm
- MUS 3380, section 001 - Gospel Choir (Mixed Ensemble), meets Tuesdays from 6:00-8:00pm