Alumni Summer Band
A community concert band-style ensemble that performs several outdoor concerts in the Twin Cities area each summer. The band is composed of approximately 125 people, including current U of M students, alumni, and others that may or may not have previous affiliation with the U of M.
2021 Rehearsal Details
The band rehearses primarily on Wednesday evenings (with a few exceptions). All rehearsals are at TCF Bank Stadium on the Twin Cities campus of the University of Minnesota from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Parking is available right outside the stadium for $6; additional nearby parking options and public transit are also available.
Rehearsals take place outside on the West Plaza of TCF Bank Stadium, which we will be able to access through the Marching Band entrance corridor. As we all know, CDC recommendations regarding Covid-19 are fluid, so if we do indeed receive permission to rehearse safely indoors, we will move in the marching band suite, located at the TCF Bank Stadium. In the meantime, please plan on outdoor rehearsals. The entrance is on the north side of the stadium through the double doors under the "Pope" County marker, next to Gate B.
2021 Rehearsal Dates:
- Wednesday, June 2nd: Rehearsal 6-9pm
- Wednesday, June 9th: Rehearsal 6-9pm
- Wednesday, June 16th: Rehearsal 6-9pm
- Wednesday, June 23rd: Rehearsal 6-9pm
- Wednesday, June 30th: Rehearsal 6-9pm
- Wednesday, July 21st: Rehearsal 6-9pm
- Tuesday, July 27th: Rehearsal 6-9pm
- Wednesday, August 4th: Rehearsal 6-9pm
2021 Summer Band Tentative Performance Schedule:
- Frank Rog Amphitheatre Concert, Roseville: Thursday, July 1st, 7:00pm
- Centennial Lakes Park Concert, Edina: Wednesday, July 28th, 7:00pm
- St. Paul Cathedral Concert, St. Paul: Thursday, August 5th, 6:30pm
Musically, a variety of repertoire is included in our concert sets, but it always includes some of the traditional U of M repertoire: Minnesota Rouser, Minnesota March, and Battle Hymn of the Republic, among others. In addition to the traditional music, we include standard concert band repertoire to fill out our concerts.
Music Selection for Summer 2021 include:
- Sea Songs, Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Toccata for Band, Frank Erickson
- Amparito Roca, Jamie Texidor / arr. Gary Fagan
- Loch Lomond, Frank Ticheli
- The Seal Lullaby, Eric Whitacre
- National Emblem March, E. E. Bagley / arr. Matt Conaway
- Court Jester March,Karen Robertson
- Chasing Sunlight, Cait Nishimura
- Selections from The Greatest Showman, arr. Paul Murtha
- Air for Band, Frank Erickson