UMN Fall 2021 Conducting Workshop
Saturday, October 2, 2021
Music educators are invited to attend a one-day in-person workshop to hone conducting skills in a concert band setting. Led by University of Minnesota Bands Faculty, on the stage of Ted Mann Concert Hall, the day will include conducting sessions with University of Minnesota Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, and Chamber Ensemble. Two tracks of participation are available: Conductor (limited to 14 - sold out!) or Observer (unlimited).
Registration has closed.
University Wind Ensemble
- Here We Rest by Anthony Barfield
- First Suite in E-Flat by Gustav Holst/Matthews
- Autumn Air by Nicole Piunno
- Second Suite in F by Gustav Holst/Matthews
- Old Wine in New Bottles by Gordon Jacob
- Carmina Burana by Carl Orff/Wanek
UMN Bands Faculty
|Emily Threinen||Director of Bands, Associate Professor of Conducting, University of Minnesota|
|Jerry Luckhardt||Associate Director of Bands, University of Minnesota|
|Betsy McCann||Assistant Director of Bands, Director of Athletic Bands, University of Minnesota|
|John Leonard||Assistant Director of Marching and Athletic Bands|
- 8:00am - Check-in
- 8:30am - Welcome and Introductions
- 9:00am - Conducting Session I with University Wind Ensemble
- 11:30am - Lunch (included in cost)
- 1:00pm - Chamber Conducting Session with University Chamber Musicians OR DEI Discussion Session with UMN Bands Faculty
- 2:30pm - Conducting Session II with Symphonic Band
- 5:15pm - Closing Remarks
- 6:00 pm Workshop Ends
- 6:30 pm Optional Happy Hour - on own - at restaurant near campus
- Concert Bands: 14 spots for large ensemble conductors. Each will receive 20 total minutes of podium time. Registration is full.
- Chamber Ensemble: 5 spots for chamber ensemble conductors. Registration is full.
- Conductor participants will rank their preferred selections and assignments will be made based on availability. Specific details provided following registration; conductor participants will be informed of exact piece(s) in August.
$95 includes catered lunch on campus.
Parking is available at the 21st Avenue Ramp ($13 daily max), 19th Avenue Ramp ($13 daily max), or Lot 94 ($5 daily max). Payment is cash or credit card. Note: Non-event rates are listed.
The closest hotel within walking distance is the Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown. This hotel is completely booked for the weekend.
Contact Nicole Radotich <firstname.lastname@example.org> in the Band Office.