CLA 150th Time Capsule
Be a part of history!
As part of the 150th anniversary, CLA alumni, faculty, staff, and students are invited to be a part of the college's history by contributing items to be included in the time capsule. What memories should be preserved in the 150th Anniversary time capsule? Do you have something that you’d like to submit for the time capsule? Tell us your idea!
The small time capsule will be sealed for the next 50 years to be opened in 2068, in time for CLA's 200th anniversary.
Use the form below to provide your name, contact email, and ideas for time capsule items. Please keep these guidelines in mind:
- Think big! What message would you like to send into the year 2068? Which memories represent CLA as a whole? How do we want future Gophers to remember the CLA of 2018? Include details about the meaning behind your idea.
- You do not need to provide the items that you propose.
- You may submit as many ideas as you’d like.
- We encourage people to work together to submit on behalf of a student organization, office, department, class, family or community organization.
- The time capsule committee may contact you for more information about your idea.
- Submissions will be accepted through March 30, 2019.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a time capsule?
A time capsule is a collection of historic items, or information, intended as a method of communication with people in the future.
What items should be submitted for suggestion?
- Letters, artifacts and pictures from CLA and around the U
- Posters and programs from various CLA events
- Pictures of things you think may not be here in 50 years
- Predictions for the future
- A list of popular expressions or slang
- Artist renderings
- Local newspapers – recent and older
- Personal reflections
- Anything that represents your CLA experience!
- Items must be small enough to fit into the capsule, so keep in mind that larger items might need to take the form of a photo or certificate
- No perishable items will be included
When will the time capsule be sealed and reopened?
The time capsule will be sealed in the spring of 2019 and opened in the year 2068. The resting place of the time capsule will be announced at the closing ceremony! Check back here for more details.
Who should submit items?
Anyone from the CLA community and the community at-large is invited to contribute items such as letters, artifacts and pictures for consideration to be included in the time capsule. We encourage people to work together to submit on behalf of a student organization, office, department, class, family or community organization.