RIGS (Virtual) Dissertation Writing Retreat, April 5-8, 2021
Announcement and Call for Applications
RIGS Dissertation Writing Retreat April 5-8, 2021
The RIGS (Race, Indigeneity, Gender, and Sexuality) Studies Initiative is hosting a writing retreat for dissertation writers for one week of concentrated writing time. We encourage applications from UMN dissertation writers who are broadly engaged with and/or committed to addressing in their research some of the most pressing socio-economic issues and inequalities of our time.
Applications are due by 12:00 PM on Monday, February 22nd, 2021, We will notify students of their status by Monday, March 1, 2021. Dissertation writers need to submit the following:
- Graduate Student Signed Application Form, which you can download and sign, and then email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advisor and DGS Signed Form, which you can download and have your Advisor and DGS sign, and then email to email@example.com
- Application, which consists of the following items:
- Dissertation Abstract: 1 single-spaced page dissertation summary
- Plan for Retreat: 500-word description detailing which part of your dissertation you will focus on during the retreat
The writing retreat will be virutal this year, held on Zoom from Monday, April 5, 2021 to Thursday, April 8, 2021 9:00 AM-4:00 PM. We will have warm-up activities and writing prompts to facilitate writing. And, during each lunch, we will have faculty-led discussion on a particular writing topic and/or challenge.
- Attend the retreat for the entire week
- Avoid the internet or email during the hours of the retreat
- Acutely focus on writing your dissertations with sustained writing time
- Actively participate in writing warm-ups and facilitations
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New to RIGS? You can click here to learn more about us!