Hiring International Students

For more information on the benefits and ease of hiring University of Minnesota's international students, please watch this short video presentation developed by the University of Minnesota's Career Services Administration.

Hiring CLA international students is quick, easy, and cost-free for at least 12 months post-graduation.​​​

CLA International Student Advantage 

  • Comprehensive liberal arts education with emphasis on creative problem solving, analytical skills, entrepreneurial mindset, and effective communication.
  • Engaged in research, student organizations, mentorship, and leadership development.
  • Multilingual capacity and experience succeeding in global work teams.
  • Ability to adapt and function in ambiguous situations.
  • Departments of Economics, Statistics, and Mathematics are ranked in the top 20 nationwide by U.S. News and World Report
This PDF iconprintable guide is designed to help you gain basic information about common visa types and discover how easy it can be for students and employers to acquire work authorization.

Internships Through Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

  • Students can work full-time during school breaks and/or part-time during school, as long as the work is related to the student’s major field of study. Students must have completed two semesters in the U.S. before becoming eligible for internships.
  • Students are responsible for filing paperwork with the U of M and can be authorized to begin work within seven working days.
  • Employer must only present the student with an internship offer of employment—no government filings, no expense.

After Graduation Through Optional Practical Training (OPT)

  • Students can work part-time or full-time in a position related to their major for at least 12 months after graduation.
  • Students are responsible for filing paperwork with the U of M and may be eligible to begin work as early as immediately following graduation.
  • Students who earned a degree in a STEM major (such as Math, Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science), and are working in a STEM-related position, are eligible for an additional 24 months of part-time or full-time work (for a total of 36 months), assuming the employer is or will become e-verified (called an OPT STEM extension).
  • Employer must only present the student with an offer of employment—no government filings, no expense.

Beyond The OPT Period

Employers can sponsor international students for longer-term work. The most common employer-sponsored work visas are H-1B or permanent resident visas, known as green cards. H-1B visas are three-year duration visas, renewable for up to six years, and costs range from $2,000 to $6,000. Employer-sponsored work visas require employers to file paperwork with U.S. Immigration Services and expenses include filing and legal fees. Other visa possibilities also exist.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide is not intended as and does not serve as legal advice; it is for informational purposes only and is NOT a substitute for professional legal advice. Content is subject to change, and employers are advised to consult an experienced U.S. Immigration Attorney for advice and further information.

Most University of Minnesota international students hold an F-1 visa and the work authorization described in this handout applies to these F-1 students. The small number of international students on other types of visas, such as J-1, may have different rules related to work options. University of Minnesota students are responsible for knowing their own visa status and being able to explain its restrictions to employers. Advisors at International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) on the University of Minnesota-Twin Cites campus offer general advice to employers about F-1, J-1, and H-1B visa work options for U of M international students. For information about a specific student, the student must first sign our release of information form. Contact ISSS at isss@umn.edu or 612-626-7100.For more information on regulations regarding hiring international students, see http://www.uscis.gov/