CLA Mulhollem Cravens Leadership Scholarship
CLA Career Services is excited to offer this scholarship opportunity for our students. The Mulhollem Cravens Leadership Scholarship will combine the hands-on experience of a summer internship with an internship reflection course, enhanced career coaching, and alumni mentoring opportunities. This award is for undergraduate degree-seeking students in the College of Liberal Arts. Scholarships will be awarded in early June 2019.
- Degree-seeking CLA undergraduate.
- Rising sophomore, junior, or senior (i.e. graduating December 2019 or later).
- Have not previously received this scholarship. You may apply if you have received an unpaid internship scholarship.
If selected for a scholarship, you will:
- Secure an off-campus internship (paid or unpaid) for the summer 2019 term.
- Work at least 120 hours total during the internship.
- Participate in a one-credit Internship Reflection course during the internship.
The application content is detailed below. Deadline is 11:55 p.m. on Wednesday, December 12, 2018. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Required Application Materials
Part One: Essay
Your essay should cover the two main topics below in 750 words or less. In your essay, please touch on these ideas:
- Please describe your current career goals and the steps you have taken to help make progress towards those goals. How does your liberal arts education connect with your goals? How does an internship this summer tie into your goals?
- Please offer some comments on how you have demonstrated leadership skills up to this point in your life. Examples can be from either before or during your collegiate career.
Please note that CLA Career Services does not give preference to students who:
- Can identify a very specific career goal such as a job title or company. The specificity we are looking for could include any of the following: career field; personal values, mission or purpose; skills or strengths they desire to use; desired future education, etc.
- Are clearly “decided”. Steps taken to make progress towards goals can include those that help the student to explore and/or clarify career goals.
- Have demonstrated “positional leadership”, such as President, etc. Student examples of leadership can reflect engagement with family, community, work, student organizations, etc. We are looking for students who demonstrate personal leadership qualities such as initiative, drive, relationship building, advocacy on behalf of others, etc.
Part Two: Resume
If you do not have a resume or you simply want it reviewed prior to the application deadline, get assistance from CLA Career Services in 411 Bruininks Hall. Drop-in hours are Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or you can schedule an appointment.
This is a one-time, non-renewable scholarship. Applicants are encouraged to use the CLA Career Services office to get help with completing the leadership scholarship application. To schedule an appointment or to get your questions answered, visit the CLA Career Services office, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 612-624-7577.
- Complete online application and essay by December 12.
- Selection committee will review applications and notify winners.
- Find a summer 2019 internship. Personalized support will be available from CLA Career Services staff.
- Receive your $5,000 scholarship.
- Begin your summer internship.
- Enroll in the 1-credit Mulhollem Cravens Internship Class.
- Celebration reception.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
If you're awarded one of the $5,000 scholarships, please note that the award will be considered part of your financial aid package. If you have questions about this, contact OneStop.