Employers on Campus
Visit Career Events & On-Campus Interviews
You might be wondering what on-campus recruiting is and how to take advantage of it. You can participate in on-campus recruiting in 4 ways:
For these, employers post a position, qualified students apply for it, and the company selects which student applicants they want to interview. Company representatives will then come to campus to conduct the interviews on a pre-arranged day. If you apply and are selected for an interview, you will be contacted to set up an interview time. Individual interviews are usually conducted by 1 or 2 people for 30 to 60 minutes.
If you are a CLA student studying abroad during on-campus interviews and are unable to attend a face-to-face interview when the employer is scheduled to be on campus, please contact CLA Career Services. Many employers will appreciate you being proactive by inquiring about the possibility of arranging an alternative way to interview. Some employers may be open to scheduling a phone interview, Skype, or setting up a face-to-face meeting once you return to campus. You will want to discuss with the employer what your options are for interviewing. Please email CLA Employer Relations at email@example.com, or call 612-626-6574.
Information sessions are usually facilitated by representatives from an organization that has job or internship openings. The representative provides a summary of the company and the type of positions available. You'll have plenty of time to ask questions, so be sure to ask some! Use the Info Session to figure out if you're genuinely interested in the position or company. Note that the company reps will also use this time to assess if you'd be a good fit for them. Info Sessions are 60 to 90 minutes long, and you usually need to register in advance.
Tips for Information Sessions
- Research the company in advance! Browse their website to learn more about what they do, or visit the CLA Career Service office for help!
- Find the company's job or internship listings and see if you qualify and are interested in any openings.
- Prepare an elevator speech to introduce yourself to recruiters. Check out our Networking page for more tips on making a connection.
- Write out a few questions you'd like to ask the recruiters at the session. For example, ask about company culture, what a 'typical day' is like, or what positions they are hiring for.
- Update and bring copies of your resume!
- Dress professionally (at least 'business casual').
- Ask each recruiter for his/her business care and follow up with a thank-you note.
- Arrive early, sit towards the front, and don't chew gum.
- Treat everyone you meet with respect and courtesy - you never know who will be part of the hiring decision or who you might meet again.
- Come with a positive attitude, and be confident in yourself!
Employer Walk-In Hours
When these are scheduled, you'll visit CLA Career Services to learn about a specific organization's job or internship openings. You'll talk to a representative from the organization to learn more. These recruiting events are scheduled on specific days during specific times, and you can stop by anytime during those hours. Whenever we have Employer Walk-In Hours, the schedule is posted on our Upcoming Events list on the Career & Internship Service site.
Employers occasionally set up an Information Table in Coffman Memorial Union. These are usually just a few hours on one day. You can visit the Info Table to meet the company or organization's recruiters, ask questions, and drop off a resume. An Info Table is an excellent way for you to learn about the organization and any positions there that might interest you.