Questions to Ask the Interviewer
Interviewers expect you to ask some questions about the position and the organization. It's one way to demonstrate your genuine interest in the position. You won't want to ask ALL of the questions below, but read through the list to get some ideas of what you might want to find out.
Questions Related to the Interview Process
- What are the next steps in your interview process?
- What is your timeline for filling this position?
- Will you have second interviews, or will you base your decision on this one?
- Is there anything else you'd like to know about me to help you decide?
Questions About the Position
- What would a typical day be like?
- What professional characteristics are you seeking for this position?
- What kind of training will there be for the position?
- What do you think is the most difficult part of the job?
- Is there anything I can do or study to get a head-start for this position?
- What opportunities exist for professional growth and development?
- What type of advancement opportunities are typical for this position?
- Will work travel be required?
- How much contact with management might I have?
- How much freedom and responsibility is typical for a new employee?
- Does this position require a lot of individual work, group collaboration, or both?
- Do you have a tuition reimbursement policy?
- If you will be supervising others in the position: Could you tell me about the people who would be reporting to me?
- How are performance evaluations conducted?
Questions About the Organization or Work Culture
- What is the work environment like? May I see the area where I would be working?
- What changes do you foresee in the department/organization over the next couple of years?
- Do employees normally work overtime? What is expected on that front?
- What makes your organization different from similar organizations or competitors?
- What is your organization's biggest challenge?
- If applicable: What company is your biggest competitor?
- Tell the interviewer you sincerely want the job or second interview, if you do!
- Wait until you receive a formal offer to discuss salary or benefits.