Welcome Class of 2025!
Here are a few things you need to do to get started as a new student in the College of Liberal Arts (CLA):
If you haven't already done so, you first must apply to the University of Minnesota.
- Complete the Freshman Application for Admission.
- Confirm your enrollment after you are notified of your admission.
- Initiate your Student Internet Account for the University of Minnesota.
2. New Student Checklist
After Admissions has processed your application and you have been accepted into the College of Liberal Arts, you must complete the New Student Checklist (available after March 31, 2021 at Noon), where you will:
- Confirm your CLA orientation date.
- Answer surveys about yourself.
- Take placement tests for mathematics, chemistry, and second language.
3. Remote Orientation
Complete your remote orientation, where you will:
- Learn about University resources.
- Connect with a college advisor.
- Register for Fall semester classes.
Before Your CLA Orientation Date:
- Initiate your University of Minnesota Internet account. You will need your Internet ID and password to sign up for orientation, register for classes, and access the University's online resources.
- Apply for housing. On-campus housing is guaranteed for first-year students.
- Complete your CLA New Student Checklist. Beginning March 31, 2021 at Noon (12:00pm), reserve your orientation date by logging into your CLA New Student Checklist. After you complete a brief questionnaire, you will choose an orientation date. The New Student Checklist is required and will help you prepare to meet with your Academic Advisor.
- International students should also review the International Student Checklist.
- Take your placement tests online. All first-year students must take the math placement test. Depending on your goals and skill level, you may also need to take placement tests in chemistry and second language.
- Upload your University ID card photo. Your University ID card is called your U Card. U Card Photo Upload allows you to upload the photo of your choice prior to orientation.
- Check your U of M email regularly. It is the official method of communication at the University of Minnesota.
After CLA Orientation:
- You will complete a post-orientation checklist to make sure you have everything done before classes begin.
- Report results of Advanced Placement exams, International Baccalaureate course awards, or credits earned through PSEO or College in Schools to the Office of Admissions.
- Consider taking a Freshman Seminar taught by award-winning faculty on a broad variety of fascinating topics.
- If you are starting in the fall, attend Welcome Week to complement your orientation experience.