Welcome Class of 2023!
Here are a few things you need to do to get started as a new student in the College of Liberal Arts (CLA):
If you haven't already done so, you first must apply to the University of Minnesota.
- Complete the Freshman Application for Admission.
- Confirm your enrollment after you are notified of your admission.
- Initiate your Student Internet Account for the University of Minnesota.
2. New Student Checklist
After Admissions has processed your application and you have been accepted into the College of Liberal Arts, you must complete the New Student Checklist, where you will:
- Confirm your CLA on-campus orientation dates.
- Answer surveys about yourself.
- Take placement tests for mathematics, chemistry, and second language (French, German, or Spanish).
3. On-Campus Orientation
Attend your 2-day orientation program, where you will:
- Learn about University resources.
- Experience a night in a residence hall.
- Meet with an academic advisor.
- Register for Fall semester classes.
Before Your On-Campus CLA Orientation:
- Initiate your University of Minnesota Internet account. You will need your Internet ID and password to sign up for orientation, register for classes, and access the University's online resources.
- Apply for housing. On-campus housing is guaranteed for first-year students.
- Complete your CLA New Student Checklist. Beginning April 3 at Noon (12:00pm), reserve your orientation date by logging into your CLA New Student Checklist. After you complete a brief questionnaire, you will choose an orientation session. The New Student Checklist is required and will help you be ready to meet with your Academic Advisor.
- International students should also review the International Student Checklist. When you arrive for on-campus orientation, you will be required to complete Document Check before meeting with a CLA advisor and registering for classes.
- Parents and guests of first-year students can attend Parent & Guest Orientation to learn about resources and opportunities at the Univeristy of Minnesota.
- Take your placement tests online. All first-year students must take the math placement test. Depending on your goals and skill level, you may also need to take placement tests in chemistry, French, German, or Spanish.
- Upload your University ID card photo. Your University ID card is called your U Card. U Card Photo Upload allows you to upload the photo of your choice prior to orientation. Your card will be ready for you to pick up at orientation, saving you time.
- Check your U of M email regularly. It is the official method of communication at the University of Minnesota.
After CLA Orientation:
- You will complete a post-orientation checklist to make sure you have everything done before classes begin.
- Report results of Advanced Placement exams, International Baccalaureate course awards, or credits earned through PSEO or College in Schools to the Office of Admissions.
- Consider taking a Freshman Seminar taught by award-winning faculty on a broad variety of fascinating topics.
- If you are starting in the fall, attend Welcome Week to complement your orientation experience.