Technical Writing Job Opportunity
Send your resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to Kelly O'Brien at email@example.com.
The College of Liberal Arts Office of Institutional Advancement seeks a technical writing & communications undergraduate student to work as a content writer/editor on the CLA web migration project.
CLA is in the process of migrating close to 75 websites to the new U of M Drupal platform. A new content strategy and information architecture has been developed by our consultant, Clockwork Active Media. We need skilled web writers/editors to develop content that is appropriate for web readability, provides useful information, and carries key messages about the strengths of CLA and its departments.
This project is an adventure for the communications and web development team in CLA. We are about 75% finished with our migrations, and continue to provide maintenance and training on our completed sites. Bring us your web content skills and we will give you an experience of working in a professional office on an enormous real-world project.
Required skills and experience:
- Coursework in digital communications (WRIT 3001 preferred) and editing
- Ability to write and edit content according to style guidelines
- Attention to detail, especially committed to accurate spelling and punctuation
- Time management
- Maintain a regular schedule of 10–20 hours/week during the academic year, more in the summer
- Familiarity with Google suite of tools (calendar, documents, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Comfortable switching from one task to another when necessary
- Listening skills (to understand the needs, requirements, and goals of collaborators)
- Anticipate holes in content
- Collaborate on group projects
- Follow established project priorities, but also seek out other tasks during down time
- Work with Drupal content management system and HTML
- Train department staff to use Drupal and make their own web updates
- Collaborate, self-start, work hard
Apply by sending a cover letter describing your interest and experience, plus a resume and writing samples (if you have them), to Kelly O’Brien, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Starting wage is $10/hour.