BFA Acting Seniors Headed to NYC!
We would like to introduce you to the UMN/Guthrie BFA Actor Training Program Company of 2019! Our senior company performs their showcase at the Guthrie Theater each April for industry professionals from across the country. This year we are thrilled to announce that they will also be traveling to New York City for the first time. While in New York, the seniors will host two performances for industry professionals from the area.
Part of this initiative is funded by fundraising efforts by the senior company themselves. Learn more about their crowdfunding initiatives here.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The University of Minnesota/Guthrie Theater BFA Actor Training Program offers an undergraduate training curriculum, which leads to a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree. In a unique actor training partnership, The University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts and the Guthrie Theater combine outstanding academic preparation with the artistic vision of the internationally known Guthrie Theater.
The program is dedicated to developing the mind, body, voice and spirit of the actor/artist/scholar. We provide our students with a variety of skills essential to realize the dynamics of performing text of classic stature. The skills acquired during the exploration of classic text will be applied to contemporary literature drawn from the world repertoire, as well as emerging dramatic forms. Our students are devoted to the pursuit of academic and creative study. We cultivate the actor, artist and scholar by providing a unique curriculum rooted in four guiding principles:
- An expansive liberal arts education.
- An intensive studio-training curriculum, which is committed to the integration of voice, movement and acting within a wide range of styles.
- An eclectic performing arts experience, with a focus on live Theater.
- A dynamic partnership between the Guthrie Theater and the University of Minnesota.
The combination of experiences under the auspices of both an academic institution and a professional theater offers the student a broader perception of the performing arts community within today’s landscape.
We are dedicated to:
- Fostering the principles of collaboration.
- Developing the art of ensemble performance.
- Honoring the integrity of the artistic process.
- Inspiring the spirit of generosity towards the creative process, fellow artists and the audience.
The University of Minnesota/Guthrie Theater BFA Actor Training Program has been ranked as one of the top actor training programs in the country. By the end of their four years, our students are armed with stellar training in classical theatre, a toolbox full of acting, vocal, and movement skills and techniques, as well as a rigorous liberal arts education and resources and connections via our partnership with the Guthrie Theater.