Your CLA Pre-Health Team
CLA Pre-Health Email
Building your CLA Pre-Health professions team is a bit like managing your own personal health. Professionals are available for advice and consultation, but you decide what experiences and background are most important to you based on your goals and priorities.
Think of it like this:
Your CLA College Advisor—Your “Primary Care Advisor”
Think of your CLA college advisor as your “primary care advisor” as you pursue pre-health. Your CLA college advisor offers you:
- One-on-one appointments to talk about your goals, plans, and interests.
- Help with exploring your major and professional choices.
- Personalized assistance with course and degree planning, blending major and Pre-Health requirements.
- Professional guidance in arranging your four-year plan to incorporate the elements that are important to you.
- Continuity of advising throughout your undergraduate experience, whether your interests change or remain the same.
- Knowledgeable referrals to additional resources.
CLA Career Services—Your Major, Job, and Internship Specialist
Career Counselors in CLA Career Services function as specialists when it comes to your questions about your major and career, as well as your primary and parallel health career plans. They offer you:
- Resources for exploring the Healthcare & Science Career Field, CLA majors, and career options within various health professions
- Graduate school preparation for professional health programs.
- Support with graduate school application materials such as résumé, cover letter, and personal statement reviews.
- Internship, employment, and networking resources.
- Resources for entrance exam preparation (e.g., GRE, MCAT, PCAT, DAT, etc.).
- Planning for a “gap year(s)” as a way to build skills and competencies to enhance your application materials for professional health programs
- In-person interview preparation and practice
Pre-Health Student Resource Center—Your UMN Health Professions Information Specialists
Staff members (career coaches and health professionals) in the Pre-Health Student Resource Center serve as your UMN health professions information specialists, offering you:
- Comprehensive health professions information.
- Health career exploration courses (for credit).
- Health career online workshops with action plans and one-on-one coaching sessions.
- Extensive web resources for exploring careers, gaining experience, and preparing for a health profession.
- An annual Health Careers Fair and other special events.
- In-person information sessions for UMN health professional programs.
Your Responsibility—Building Your Unique Portfolio
Your responsibility in preparing for success in Pre-Health (and beyond) is to develop your unique portfolio of experiences and skills in and out of the classroom. You can do that by:
- Joining meaningful student organizations.
- Volunteering where it matters to you.
- Building relationships with professionals and faculty mentors.
- Connecting to research projects that make you wonder.
- Gaining experience related to your intended profession.
- Researching to find programs that match your profile and your personal goals.