The CLA Career Services office is located in 411 Bruininks Hall and is open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For assistance, please stop by, call 612-626-6574, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How We Can Help
In CLA Career Services, we can help you in a wide variety of ways, no matter where you are on your career development journey.
Perhaps you need to talk to a career counselor because you’re feeling lost and overwhelmed. Maybe you need to track down an informative career resource. Or maybe you just want to explore your academic and career options … or gain some experience to build your Core Career Competencies and other skills … or learn how to prepare for the job/internship search or for graduate/professional school.
Working under the framework of the CLA Career Management Model, we help students:
- Explore their academic and career options.
- Gain meaningful Experience.
- Develop the skills and tools they need to Excel after college.
Whatever career questions and concerns you might have, we can help you find answers and sort things out!
Who We Serve
We work with all degree-seeking undergraduate students enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts. (Graduate Career Services are available through the CLA Graduate Programs office.) We also help recent CLA alumni for up to one year after their graduation.
Beyond students, we work with employers and recruiters (to help students find jobs and explore careers), and with U of M faculty and staff.
How to Schedule an Appointment
Please schedule your appointment by visiting: clacareer.appointments.umn.edu.
We offer in person, virtual, and phone appointment options. If you aren't seeing the appointment modality that you need or prefer, simply contact us at email@example.com and we are happy to accommodate your need.
Questions, concerns, accommodation needed? Call: 612-626-6574 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Expect During Your Career Counseling Appointment
- Get to know our counseling team by reading our staff bios.
- Appointments are typically 30 minutes.
- CLA Career Services is committed to providing a comfortable, inclusive, and respectful environment for all members of our community. If there is information that you feel would be helpful for your counselor to know prior to your appointment including disability or other accommodation needs, you can share it with them directly or let our front desk staff know.
- During your appointment, your counselor will ask you questions to get to know you, understand your needs, and determine how they can assist you.
- Throughout the appointment, feel free to ask your counselor any questions you might have. If anything is unclear, just ask for clarification.
- During the appointment, your counselor may share a variety of online or printed resources with you.
- At the end of your appointment, you and your counselor will identify some next steps for you to work on after the appointment ends.
- If you want to schedule another appointment in the future, you can do so with the counselor before you go or via clacareer.appointments.umn.edu
- It is recommended that you review the content in the Career Readiness Guide related to the topic/s you'd like to discuss and use the Career Readiness (CR) Guide worksheet/s to get started: z.umn.edu/careerguides prior to your appointment.
If your appointment is in person ...
- Check in at the front desk of CLA Career Services, 411 Bruininks Hall.
- Please follow the UMN's face covering protocol.
- Please note that the counselor's office door will be open to allow air flow in the space.
- Bring your personal technology, such as a phone, tablet, or laptop, if you have one. This is not required.
- If you are not feeling well, please change your appointment modality to online or phone (see instructions below) or reschedule for a different date.
If your appointment is online ...
- Please click the zoom link in your appointment reminder email to join your appointment virtually.
If your appointment is via phone ...
- Please respond to your appointment reminder email in advance and provide your counselor with the phone number you'd like them to reach you at.
Changing Your Appointment
If you need to reschedule, change the modality of your appointment, or cancel your appointment you can do so through the online scheduling portal: clacareer.appointments.umn.edu or you can stop by 411 Bruininks Hall, call 612-626-6574, or email email@example.com. We ask that you give as much notice as possible to open up the appointment slot for another student. Please note that any student who cancels or does not show up for an appointment three or more times with less than 24 hours notice will be ineligible to make further appointments.
Group Career Workshops
CLA Career Services can offer customized workshops (resumes/cover letters, intro to networking, job/internship search, articulating your skills, etc.) for your student group. If you are a part of a CLA-affiliated group, use this form. If you are part of a university-wide group, use this form. Note that for the non-CLA affiliated groups, we ask that at least half the members are in CLA.
CLA Student Services is committed to providing a comfortable, inclusive, and respectful environment for all members of our communities. If you have accommodation needs, comments, or questions related to accessing our services, please let a member of our staff know.
During your appointment, if you choose to write or speak about having survived sexualized violence, including rape, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, federal and state education laws require that we must notify the U of M’s Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office. Learn more about additional reporting, counseling, and support resources.