What Can I Do With a Major In Biblical Studies & Classics?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liaison
Dept. of Classical & Near
Get career help or schedule
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about multiple undergraduate program options offered through The Department of Classical and Near Eastern Studies. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and biblical studies and classics majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include an enhanced vocabulary through the study of Latin and/or Greek, critical thinking and analysis, extensive knowledge of Greek and Roman culture and history, and of classical traditions, and knowledge of the methods by which society, culture, and language are studied.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "AIS" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- The Social Service Job Site
- USA Jobs
- Employment at the University - Current UMN employment opportunities, including student positions
- USA Jobs
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits Job Board
- Society of Biblical Literature
- World History Association
- American Alliance of Museums
- National Council on Public History
- Society of American Archivists
- Society for Classical Studies
- The Classical Association of the Middle West and South
- Classical Languages Teachers Association
- Association of Ancient Historians
- American Translators Association
- Archeological Institute of America
- The Classical Association
- The American Classical League (ACL)
Classics & Philosophy
- Master of Arts, Classics and Medieval History, University of Oxford & MLIS, Library Sciences, Dominican University. Postgrad job: Academic Editor, Walden University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Classics and Classical Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics, University at Buffalo
- PhD, Philosophy, University of St. Andrew. Postgrad job: Schoolmaster, Mysville Academy
Biblical Studies & Theology
- Master of Divinity, Candler School of Theology. Postgrad Job: Associate Rector, Christ Episcopal Church
- Leadership Development Institute, Church Planter Resident at Hope Community Church, Biblical Studies and Leadership. Postgrad job: Lead Pastor, Revolution Church
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!