What Can I Do With a Major In Biology, Society, & Environment?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liaison
Dept. of Geography,
Environment & Society
Get career help or schedule
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Professional Organization
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about the biology, society & environment (BSE) major. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and BSE majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include research and quantitative skills, ability to work independently and collaboratively, laboratory experience, and problem-solving skills.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "ISR" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- HECUA internship program
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- USA Jobs
- Careers in Biochemistry and Microbiology (Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology)
- American Society for Microbiology
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Biological Sciences
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!