What Can I Do With a Major In Computer Science?
Computer Science majors go on to successful careers in business, web and software development, publishing, academics, government, the arts, research, and much more.
Computer science degrees are offered through both the College of Science & Engineering (CSE) and the College of Liberal Arts (CLA). CSE offers a Bachelor of Science; CLA offers a Bachelor of Arts in computer science. For more information, contact the Computer Science and Engineering department.
All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and computer science majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include:
- Strong technical knowledge and analysis skills
- Computer programming languages
- Strong diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- Independent, self-motivated work ethic
- Information management skills
- Ability to organize, classify and interpret data
Interest Code: IRE
Internship & Job Search Websites
- ACM - Association of Computing Machinery
- ACM-W - Association of Computing Machinery for Women
- Girls Who Code
- Women in Computer Science
by the most common career fields they go into (although, keep in mind that there are computer science alumni in all eight of the career fields). For more career information for computer science majors, utilize these additional resources:
- What Can I Do With This Major - Find information about common career paths, employers, and strategies for how to build experience in different career fields
- LinkedIn's Alumni Tool - Explore thousands of alumni career pathways
- GoldPASS - Explore different job, internship, and volunteer opportunities as well as career events on campus