What Can I Do With a Major In Economics?
You can do a lot with this major! Economics majors go on to successful careers in business, economic analysis, academics, advocacy, politics, government, publishing, research, and much more.
The Department of Economics offers three degrees: BS, BA, and BA with quantitative emphasis. Learn more about these programs on the economics department site.
All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and economics majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include:
- Strong quantitative reasoning abilities
- Statistical analysis abilities
- Information management
- Analytical thinking and attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to conduct and explain scientific research
- Ability to model economic behavior
- Ability to formulate clear and persuasive messages
- Listening, clarifying, questioning and responding skills
Interest code: IAS
Internship & Job Search Websites
- Economics Student Organization
- Asian Business and Economics Student Association
- Minnesota Korean Economics Students
- Investors at UMN
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are economics alumni in all eight of the career fields). For more career information for economics majors, utilize these additional resources:
- What Can I Do With This Major - Find information about common career paths, employers, and strategies for how to build experience in different career fields
- LinkedIn's Alumni Tool - Explore thousands of alumni career pathways
- GoldPASS - Explore different job, internship, and volunteer opportunities as well as career events on campus