What Can I Do With a Major In English?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liaison
Department of English
Get career help or schedule
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn about a major in English. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and English majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include a strong ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, critical thinking & analysis, and the ability to analyze and solve problems.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "AIS" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- Authorlink: Information Services for Writers, Editors,
Literary Agents and Publishers
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- Talent Zoo
- Media Week
- Small Publishers, Artists and Writers Network
- The Write Jobs
- HECUA internship program
- The Tower: University of Minnesota’s Literary Magazine
- FUSE (Fellowship of Undergraduate Students in English)
- American Copy Editors Society
- American Society of Journalists & Authors
- Association of Directory of Publishers
- Association of American Publishers
- Magazine Publishers of America
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!