What Can I Do With a Major In Gender, Women & Sexuality Studies?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liaison
Dept. of Gender, Women &
Get career help or schedule
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn about a major in gender, women, & sexuality studies. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and gender, women & sexuality studies majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include a strong ability to engage diversity, analytical & critical thinking, and ethical reasoning & decision making.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "IES" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- HECUA internship program
- Feminist Majority Foundation’s Career Site
- National Women’s Studies Association Employment
- Global List of Women’s Organizations (by country, and by state, in the U.S.)
- National Organization for Women
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- USA Jobs
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- National Center of Domestic and Sexual Violence job board
- Public Health Job Board
- American Alliance of Museums job board
- Job search sites from Education Minnesota
- Feminist Student Activist Collective
- Feminist Ambassador Brigade (FAB)
- Women for Political Change
- Her Campus
- Compass: Undergraduate
- Queer Student Advocates
- oSTEM @ Minnesota
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!