Application forms will be
available in late fall 2016
The Trans-American Summer Institute is intended for advanced graduate students working toward a PhD or other terminal degree at a North American or European university. Preference will be given to students who have already defined a dissertation topic. The language of instruction is English. Competency in English and a reading knowledge of another European language are required.
Pending final budget approval, all fellows will receive a fellowship to cover most expenses:
- Institute tuition
- Housing and meals for the duration of the Institute
- Access to library and archival materials and Internet resources
- Partial travel support
Fellowships for advanced graduate students enrolled at North American universities include up to $750 in support of round-trip airfare to Germany. Although not required, we encourage fellows to apply to their home department for match to cover the remainder of their travel expenses. Fellows enrolled at a European university will receive up to $150 to cover travel costs to Bayreuth.
A complete application consists of:
- the TASI Application—application will be available in late fall 2016
- a letter of interest
- a two-page dissertation abstract, or a two-page statement about the relevance of this topic to the applicant's research
- a curriculum vitae
- an unofficial graduate transcript
- one confidential letter of recommendation by a faculty member familiar with the applicant's research project
The letter of interest should include information on the applicant's scholarly background, interests, and career goals.