Please check eligibility requirements before you apply.
We take a holistic approach for admission into the Chinese Flagship program. Students are evaluated on the following, including but not limited to:
- Pass the OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview) at the appropriate level of Chinese instruction
- Pass the STAMP (Standards-based Measurement of Proficiency) test at the appropriate level of Chinese instruction
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Ability to complete their degree program and Flagship Capstone in a maximum of 5 years
Subject to further change at the program's discretion.
Provisional admission of freshman students
If you are in your first semester as a freshman, and have never studied Chinese before, you can be provisionally admitted into the Chinese Flagship Program if you are enrolled in CHN1011 or CHN1015. Please follow all the application steps listed below, except for the proficiency test requirement. Once you have signed the pledge form, you will be eligible for individual tutoring and other Flagship opportunities. You will take the proficiency test at the end of your first semester. Your Flagship status will continue into the second semester only if you successfully pass the proficiency benchmarks and receive a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and above at the end of the first semester.
How to Apply
Complete all the steps in the application instructions below. Once you are admitted to Chinese Flagship program, you will begin your pre-Capstone training and become eligible for Flagship scholarships.
Fill out the online application form. After receiving your application, the program’s Associate Director Dr. Yao Tu will contact you to arrange proficiency tests (OPI and STAMP) or require additional information. Please allow up to 5 business days for a response.
Sign the Chinese Flagship pledge form with the Associate Director after you pass the language proficiency tests. The Chinese Flagship Director Dr. Ning Ma will issue you a formal letter of admission through email.
Once admitted, you should attend the new student orientation, and set up the following appointments (which can be done during the orientation):
- Set up an appointment with the Associate Director Yao Tu (email@example.com) to schedule individual tutoring.
- Set up an appointment with the Academic Advisor Claudia Hasegawa (firstname.lastname@example.org) to go through your degree plans.
Please contact email@example.com for any questions about the application process.