Professional MA in Strategic Communication
Every successful career has a turning point. Make this yours.
View application information
Designed exclusively for working professionals in advertising, public relations or corporate or nonprofit communications, the Professional MA in Strategic Communication focuses on the study of communications strategy, planning, and evaluation, as well as persuasion and advertising theory. Our curriculum recognizes that the communication industry is rapidly changing and is in need of strategic thinkers who can achieve business outcomes. You’ll learn how to create and implement effective communication strategies while becoming a communicator who provides strategic insight to executives.
Become an Integrated Strategic Communicator
Today’s communicators need strategic and practical skills to navigate the constantly changing media landscape. Sharpen your skills while embedding theory into your everyday work and transforming your career.
- develop planning and analytical capabilities that empower your career
- break free from tactic-only thinking and embed strategy and holistic thinking into your communications planning and execution
- experience the rigor and respect of an MBA with less number crunching and more creativity
You Can Do It
Our program is designed for communications and marketing professionals who are working full-time. Our faculty and your fellow students understand the need for work/life balance. This degree is designed to be completed in two calendar years—period. No waiting for class availability or impossible schedules. You will complete your coursework and capstone project in a workable schedule that still leaves time for the rest of your life.
What Makes Us Different?
The Cohort Advantage: Learn From and With Your Peers
- take the same courses, start to finish, with the same group of dedicated peers who collaborate, support, and inspire each other
- test ideas from your workplace with proactive peers in a safe, educational environment
- graduate with a group of around 20 peers and mentors who become lifelong friends and business contacts
- collaborate with forward-thinkers who are ready to transform their careers and professional self, as well as expand their peer and mentor networks in a real and meaningful way
Learn from the Best: Blend of Real-World Leaders and Scholars
- adjunct faculty from the Twin Cities agency community bring real-world client situations and case studies to the classroom
- renowned faculty embed a theoretical framework around modern-day communication situations
- projects and class sessions provide opportunities to bring work situations and ideas into the classroom
- many students’ Capstone papers can be used at work, to solve a problem, suggest a new practice, or enhance company policy
Numbers Don’t Lie: The Bottom Line
- more than 90 percent of our alumni say that their income has improved significantly since completing their degree
- more than 90 percent of our alumni say that the program helped them become a better professional
- our two-year graduation rate is nearly 90 percent, which is one of the highest at the University of Minnesota
Our Heritage of Storytelling and Excellence
We’re the only strategic communication masters degree in the Twin Cities that is part of a nationally ranked school of journalism that values the fundamental disciplines of research and discovery, critical thinking, writing, editing, and storytelling within the broader challenges of today’s media landscape.