Jean M Langford
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Anthropology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1998.
- M.A.: Anthropology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1993.
- B.A.: Anthropology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1990.
- Haunting and Political Violence
- Semiotics, poststructuralism, deconstruction
- Animal Studies
- Postcolonial studies
- Science studies
- South and Southeast Asia
- Anth 8810: History, Memory, Haunting
- Anth 8810: Signification and the Social
- Anth 4075 - Cultural Histories of Healing
- Anth 3035 - Anthropologies of Death
- Avian Bedlam: Toward a Biosemiosis of Troubled Parrots: Langford, Jean, Environmental Humanities, 9(1) 84-107, 2017. Download
- Medical Eschatologies: The Christian Spirit of Hospital Protocol: Langford, Jean, Medical Anthropology, 35(3) 236-246, 2016. Download
- Wilder Powers: Morality and Animality in Tales of War and Terror: Langford, Jean, Hau: A Journal of Ethnographic Theory, 3 (3) 223-244, 2013. Download
- Consoling Ghosts: Stories of Medicine and Mourning from Southeast Asians in Exile. Langford, Jean, University of Minnesota Press, Author, 2013. Image
- Gifts Intercepted: Biopolitics and Spirit Debt: Langford, Jean, Cultural Anthropology, 24(4) 681-711, 2009. Download
- Spirits of Dissent: Southeast Asian Memories and Disciplines of Death: Langford, Jean, Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East (Special Issue on Mourning and Memory, 25(1) 161-176, 2005. Download
- Traces of Folk Medicine in Jaunpur: Langford, Jean, Cultural Anthropology, 18(3) 271-303, 2003. Download
- Fluent Bodies: Ayurvedic Remedies for Postcolonial Imbalance.. Langford, Jean, Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2002.
- Medical Mimesis: Healing Signs of a Cosmopolitan "Quack": Langford, Jean, American Ethnologist, 26(1) 24-46, 1999. Download
- Ayurvedic Psychotherapy: Transposed Signs, Parodied Selves: Langford, Jean, Political and Legal Anthropology Review, 21(1) 84-98, 1998. Download
- Ayurvedic Interiors: Person, Space and Episteme in Three Medical Practices: Langford, Jean, Cultural Anthropology, 10(3) 330-366, 1995. Download
- Rachel Carson Book Prize from Society for the Social Studies of Science for Fluent Bodies: Ayurvedic Remedies for Postcolonial Imbalance, 2004