Ms Njeri Githire
African American and African Studies
848 Social Sci Tower
267 - 19th Ave South
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Comparative Literature & Women's Studies, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA, 2004.
- Doctoral Studies: Francophone African Literatures, Centre International d’Etudes Francophones (CIEF)/Université de Paris IV-Sorbonne, Paris, France, 1999-.
- D.E.A (Diplôme d’études Approfondies): Francophone African Literatures, Université de Paris XII - Val de Marne, Créteil, France, 1999.
- Maítrise Langues: Stylistics & Translation, Université de Paris III - Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris, France, 1997.
- Licence Langues: Foreign Languages & Literatures (English, French, Portuguese), Université de Nantes, Nantes, France, 1993.
- African Literary and Cultural Production;
- Literatures of the African Diaspora;
- Women's Writings and Feminist Theory;
- Postcolonial Theory and Criticism;
- Immigration, Migration & Transnational Networks in Africa/the Diaspora
- Francophone Studies;
- Food, (Non)-Eating, and Related Topics in African Literature, Cinema & Popular Culture
- AFRO 5910: "Feast or Famine: The Politics of Food in Literary and Cultural Contexts"
- AFRO 3625W/5625: "Black Women Writers in the Diaspora."
- GLOS 5900 - “Immigrant Dreams & Contemporary African Diasporic Literatures“;
- Afro 3601 - Introduction to African Literature
- Afro 3592W - Introduction to Black Women Writers in the United States
Research & Professional Activities
- Cannibal Writes: Eating Others in Caribbean and Indian Ocean Women's Writing: Forthcoming, University of Illinois Press Fall 2014
- (In)edible Ideologies: Food, Identity and the (Post)Colonial Subject in African Literary and Cultural Expression: Book project, 2013 - 2017
- Githire, Njeri. "The Female Pioneer in Monique Agénor’s L’Aïeule de l’isle Bourbon." The French Review 84.3 (2010): 36.48. Link
- Githire, Njeri. "The Empire Bites Back: Food Politics and the Making of a Nation in Andrea Levy’s Works." Callaloo 33.3 (2010): 857-873. Link
- Githire, Njeri. "New Visions, New Voices: Emerging Perspectives in East African Fiction." Transition 102 (2009): 182-8. Link
- Githire, Njeri. "The Semiotics of (Not)-Eating: Fasting, Anorexia, & Hunger Strike in Ananda Devi’s Le voile de Draupadi." Nottingham French Studies 48.1 (spring, 2009): 82-93. Link
- Githire, Njeri. "Horizons Adrift: Women in Exile, at Home and Abroad in Gisí¨le Pineau’s Works.." Research in African Literatures 36.1 (Spring, 2005): 74-90. Link
- Githire, Njeri, C. Makward. "Gisí¨le Pineau: Causerie á Penn State." Women in French Studies 9 (2001): 220-23.