2018 ASI Faculty Travel Grants
Faculty Travel Grants
The African Studies Initiative (ASI), through a Title VI grant in African Studies from the U.S. Department of Education, is able to provide travel support up to $2,000 to University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, faculty and instructional staff. The Travel Grants are intended for projects that enhance the University’s undergraduate and graduate curriculum in African Studies and for projects that support the building of sustainable educational partnerships with institutions abroad on African Studies.
While the ASI accepts applications on a rolling basis, we encourage those planning travel during Summer 2018 to apply by Tuesday, 20 March 2018. In any case, all applications must be received at least 2 months before the proposed departure date to allow for internal review by the ASI and timely submission of Travel Approval Requests to the U.S. Department of Education. All travel (partially) paid for with federal funds has to comply with the Fly America Act. Accordingly, please do not purchase airline tickets before clearing the proposed itinerary with the ASI.
Priority will be given to projects that fall within the following categories:
- Projects that integrate foreign languages into the African Studies curriculum, including the collection of curricular resources that will allow students to use their foreign language skills in African Studies courses;
- The development of new African Studies courses or the redesign of existing courses with new African Studies content including the collection of materials to update courses with new African Studies content;
- The development of sustainable educational collaborations with institutions abroad on African Studies.
NOTE: Title VI travel funding is not primarily intended for conference presentations. Proposals must specifically address the program priorities above.
- Download and complete the Application Form.
- Include a one-page project description that includes travel destination and dates and curricular and/or educational goals.
ASI Faculty Travel Grants
African Studies Initiative
214 Social Sciences Building
Campus Delivery Code: 7173A
The ASI accepts applications on a rolling basis, but we do require that all applications be received at least 2 months before the departure date so we can 1) review proposed itineraries before booking to ensure compliance with Fly America provisions; and 2) submit the mandatory federal Travel Approval Requests with the US Department of Education (US/ED)—and secure US/ED approval—in a timely manner. We encourage those planning travel during Summer 2018 to apply by 20 March 2018.
- Applicants must be faculty or instructional staff of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Graduate and undergraduate students are not eligible.
- Applicants who have received prior Travel Grant funding are eligible to re-apply; however, applicants who have not received a Travel Grant within the last two years will receive priority.
- Past recipients who have not submitted a final syllabus and/or report are not eligible for new funding.
Grantees should complete a University Travel Authorization form and register international travel in the GPS Alliance International Travel Registry before travel. Grantees should also observe all other GPS Alliance mandated requirements and regulations pertaining to international travel.
At the end of the award period, grantees must submit the new or revised syllabus resulting from the Faculty Travel Grant, including a timetable when the course will be offered, and/or a one-page project report that specifies the project outcomes.