Betsy J Kerr
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: French linguistics, Indiana University - Bloomington, Bloomington, Indiana, 1979.
- M.A.: French, Middlebury College Graduate School of French, Middlebury, Vermont and Paris, France, 1972.
- connectors in speech
- features in oral narratives of learners of French
- French language in Canada
- French linguistics
- history of French language
- informal spoken French
- second language acquisition
- teaching of foreign languages
- grammar of English and French
- Fren 3521 - History of the French Language
- Fren 4510 - Topics in French Linguistics: Advanced/Pedagogical Grammar
- Fren 3015 - Advanced French Communication
- Fren 4510 - Topics in French Linguistics: Linguistics Applied to Reading French
- Fren 3531/5531 - Sociolinguistics of French
- Fren 3541/5541 - Oral Discourse of French
- Fren 3501/5501 - Structure of French: Phonology
- Fren 3500, Linguistic Analysis of French
Research & Professional Activities
- Faculty Director: College in the Schools French program , 1999 - present
- Deux Mondes: A Communicative Approach, 2nd-7th ed.. Kerr, Betsy, Tracy Terrell et al., McGraw-Hill, Co-Author, 1993, 1997, 2002, 20. Link
- Left Dislocation in French: Information Structure vs. (?) Interactional Linguistics: Kerr, Betsy, Katz Bourns, Stacey & Lindsy L. Myers, eds., John Benjamins, Perspectives on Linguistic Structure and Context: Studies in Honor of Knud Lambrecht, 223-240, 2014.
- Grammatical description and classroom application: Theory and practice in data-driven learning: Kerr, Betsy, Association suisse de linguistique appliquée (ASLA) (Neuchâtel), Bulletin suisse de linguistique appliquée, 97 (summer 2013) 17-39, 2013.
- "A Corpus-based Study of Indefinite 'des' and Generic 'les': Kerr, Betsy, American Association of Teachers of French, French Review, 84:5 (May 2011) 918-935, 2011.
- "Applications of Corpus-Based Linguistics to Second Language Instruction: Lexical Grammar and Data-Driven Learning": Kerr, Betsy, Stacey Katz & Johanna Watzinger-Tharp, Heinle & Heinle, Conceptions of L2 Grammar: Theoretical Approaches and their Application in the L2 Classroom, 128-150, 2009. Link
- "Variant Word-Order Constructions: To Teach or Not to Teach? Evidence from Learner Narratives: Kerr, Betsy, Sue Gass and Kathleen Bardovi-Harlig, eds. , John Benjamins, Pedagogical Norms for Second and Foreign Language Learning and Teaching, 185-98, 2002. Link
- The Acquisition of Connectors in French L2 Narrative Discourse. Kerr, Betsy, 1998.
- The Pragmatics of Left Detachment in Spoken Standard French. Kerr, Betsy, John Benjamins, 1985.
- Apports de l'analyse du discours í l'enseignement de la langue. Kerr, Betsy, 1990.
- The Notion of 'Dative' in Linguistic Theory and Grammar of French. Kerr, Betsy, 1980.