Marcia M Eaton
Educational Background & Specialties
- philosophy of literary language
- literary interpretation
- visual arts
- landscape assessment
- Hum 1001 - Man in the Modern World: 18th Century
- Hum 5030 - Proseminar: Philosophy and Literature
- Phil 3302 - Moral Problems in Contemporary Society
- Phil 3502W - Introduction to Aesthetics
- Phil 4501W - Principles of Aesthetics
- Phil 5003 - American Philosophy
- Phil 5502 - Principles of Aesthetics
- Phil 5512 - Philosophy of Criticism
- Phil 5770 - Topics: Art and Language
- Phil 8510 - Graduate Seminar in Aesthetics
- Phil1002 - Introduction to Philosophy
Research & Professional Activities
- Member, McKnight Advisory Board: 1994 - 1995
- Member, Philosophy Department Search Committee: 1994 - 1995
- Vice President, American Philosophical Society: 1993 - 1995
- Board of Editors, American Philosophical Quarterly: 1991 - 1994
- Chair, University of Minnesota Scientific and Scholarly Advisory Board: 1994 - 1995
- Chair, Department of Philosophy, University of Minnesota: 1995 - 1998
- Member, College Board/Getty Center for Education in the Arts Advisory Committee on the Arts: 1994
- Selected by American Council of Learned Societies to direct Minneapolis Public Schools/University of Minnesota pilot project on improving teaching of humanities K-12: 1992 - 1993
- President, American Society for Aesthetics: 1995 - 1997
- Member, University Senate Committee on Committees: 1994 - 1995
- Intention, Supervenience, and Aesthetic Realism. Eaton, Marcia, British Journal of Aesthetics, 1998.
- Aesthetics: The Mother of Ethics?. Eaton, Marcia, Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, 1997.
- Laughing at the Death of Little Nell: Sentimental Art and Sentimental People. Eaton, Marcia, American Philosophical Quarterly, 1990.
- Aesthetics and the Good Life. Eaton, Marcia, Associated University Presses, 1989.
- Basic Issues in Aesthetics. Eaton, Marcia, Wadsworth Publishing, 1988.
- University Distiguished Women Scholars' Award, 2003
- CLA Dean's Medal, 2002