Eric Shook is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Geography, Environment, and Society at the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities. His research is focused on geospatial computing, which is situated at the intersection of geographic information science and computational science, with particular emphasis in the areas of cyberGIS, data-intensive spatio-temporal analytics and modeling, and social media data analytics. Overall, his research aims to advance geospatial computing through foundational research, which is then leveraged in novel applications ranging from research in human origins to analyzing risk perception of disease outbreak and extreme weather events using social media. Dr. Shook teaches in the areas of geographic information science, geospatial computing, and cyberGIS.
- B.S.: Computer Science, University of Northern Iowa, , 2005 -
- M.S.: Geography, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, , 2010 -
- Ph.D.: Geography, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, , 2013 -
- geographic information science
- geospatial computing
- big data analytics and modeling
- social media data analytics