Timothy L Face
Spanish and Portuguese Studies
203E Folwell Hall
9 Pleasant Street SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Hispanic Linguistics, The Ohio State University, 2001.
- MA: Hispanic Linguistics, The Ohio State University, 1998.
- BA: Spanish, Michigan State University, 1995.
- Spanish Second Language Phonology
- Spanish Prosody
- Spanish Intonation
- Laboratory Phonology
- Phonological Theory
- Spanish Grammar and Language Structure
- Span 8710 - Seminar in Spanish and Portuguese Phonology
- Span 5930 - Topics in Ibero-Romance Linguistics
- Span 5721 - Spanish Laboratory Phonology
- Span 5711 - The Structure of Modern Spanish: Phonology
- Span 3972W - Senior Seminar
- Span 3730 - Topics in Hispanic Linguistics
- Span 3707 - Linguistic Accuracy through Translation
- Span 3701 - The Structure of Spanish: Phonology
- Span 3107W - Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics
Research & Professional Activities
- Founding Editor of Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics: 2007 - present
- Editorial Board: Southwest Journal of Linguistics , 2004 - 2010
- Co-organizer, with Kimberly Geeslin (Indiana University), of the Current Approaches to Spanish and Portuguese Second Language Phonology conference: February 2008
- Organizer, 8th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium: University of Minnesota along with the 7th Conference on the Acquisition of Spanish and Portuguese as First and Second Languages (Carol Klee, organizer)
- Organizer, Laboratory Approaches to Spanish Phonology: hosted by the University of Minnesota
- Acquisition, development, and ultimate attainment of the Spanish sound system by native English-speaking adult learners:
- Spanish phonology from the perspective of language use:
- Intonation of Castilian Spanish:
- Speech perception as evidence in phonology:
- Perception of Castilian Spanish Intonation: Implications for Intonational Phonology. Face, Timothy, Lincom Europa, Author, 2011.
- Guide to the Phonetic Symbols of Spanish. Face, Timothy, Cascadilla Press, Author, 2008.
- The Intonation of Castilian Spanish Declaratives and Absolute Interrogatives. Face, Timothy, Lincom Europa, Author, 2008.
- Selected Proceedings of the 8th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. Face, Timothy, Carol A. Klee, Cascadilla Proceedings Project, Co-Editor, 2006.
- Selected Proceedings of the 7th Conference on the Acquisition of Spanish and Portuguese as First and Second Languages. Face, Timothy, Carol A. Klee, Cascadilla Proceedings Project, Co-Editor, 2006.
- Laboratory Approaches to Spanish Phonology. Face, Timothy, Mouton de Gruyter, Editor, 2004.
- Intonational Marking of Contrastive Focus in Madrid Spanish. Face, Timothy, Lincom Europa, 2002.
- Presidents' Prize - Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States