Dr Lizbeth H Finestack
My long-term research aim is to identify efficient and effective language interventions for children and adolescents with neurodevelopmental disorders, including children with primary language impairment, Down syndrome, fragile X syndrome, or autism spectrum disorder. I have built a research program focused on developing new child language intervention techniques, better understanding the language profiles of children and adolescents with differing neurodevelopmental disorders, and measuring intervention outcomes of individuals with different language and cognitive profiles.
Educational Background & Specialties
- Post-Doc: Developmental Disabilities, Waisman Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, 2007-09.
- Ph.D.: Speech-Language Pathology, University of Kansas, Kansas City, 2007.
- M.A.: Speech-Language Pathology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, 1999.
- B.A.: Speech-Lanuage-Hearing, University of Kansas, Lawrence, 1997.
- Child Language
- Language Intervention
- Developmental Disabilities: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Down Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome
- Developmental Language Disorder/Specific Language Impairment/Primary Language Disorder
- SLHS 3303: Language Acquisition and Science
- SLHS 5603: Assessment and Intervention of Language Disorders in Children
- SLHS 8410: Research Seminar
- SLHS 1402: The Talking Brain
- SLHS 4402: Assessment and Treatment in Speech-Language Pathology
Research & Professional Activities
- Expressive Language Sampling as an Outcome Measure: , National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development NIDCD, R01Revision (R01 HD 074346), December 2015 - February 2018
- Expressive Language Sampling as an Outcome Measure in ASD: Simons Foundation Novel Outcome Measures for ASD Clinical Trials, September 2015 - December 2015
- An Alternative Grammatical Treatment for Children with Language Impairment, National Institutes of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders NIDCD, R03 (1R03DC011365-01A1): June 2011 - May 2015
- Evaluation of an Explicit Approach to Teach Grammatical Forms to Children with Language Impairment: Grant-in-Aid of Research, Artistry, and Scholarship Program, July 2016 - January 2018
- Reducing Early Language Disparities: A Key to Lifelong Academic, Socioeconomic, and Health Success: Exploratory Grand Challenge Grant, September 2016 - December 2019
- Metalinguistic Awareness and Language Development in Children: Talle Faculty Research Award, January 2017 - December 2019
- *Huang, T. &Finestack, L. H.(accepted). Comparing Morphosyntactic Profiles of Children with Developmental Language Disorder or Language Disorder associated with Autism Spectrum Disorder. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology.
- Finestack, L. H., *Rohwer, B. L., *Hilliard, L., & Abbeduto, L. A. (accepted). Using Computerized Language Analysis (CLAN) to Evaluate Grammatical Skills. Language, Speech, and Hearing in Schools.
- McGregor, K. K., Goffman, L., Van Horne, A., Hogan, T., &Finestack, L. H. (accepted). Developmental Language Disorder: Applications for Advocacy, Research, and Clinical Service. SIG 1 Language Learning and Education Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups.
- Payesteh, B. &Finestack, L. H. (accepted). Influences of Language Input and Production on the Language Skills of Persian-English Bilingual Immersion Preschool Children. Journal of Immersion and Content-Based Language Education.
- *Bangert, K. &Finestack, L. H.(accepted). Linguistic Maze Production by Children and Adolescents with ADHD. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- Peter B., Potter N., Davis J., Donenfeld-Peled, I., Finestack, L. H. , Stoel-Gammon, C., Lien, K., Vose, C., Eng, L., Yokoyama, H., Olds, D., & VanDam, M. Toward a paradigm shift from deficit-based to proactive speech and language treatment: Randomized pilot trial of the Babble Boot Camp in infants with classic galactosemia [version 2; peer review: 2 approved with reservations]. F1000Research 2019, 8:271 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.18062.2)
- Finestack, L. H., Engman, J., Huang, T., Bangert, K. J., & Bader, K. (2019). Evaluation of a Combined Explicit-Implicit Approach to Teach Grammatical Forms to Children with Grammatical Weaknesses. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 1-17.
- *Julien, H. M., Finestack, L. H., & Reichle, J. (2019). Requests for Communication Repair Produced by Typically-Developing Preschool-Age Children. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 62, 1823-1838
- *Bangert, K. J., *Halverson, D. &Finestack, L. H.(2019). Evaluation of an Explicit Intervention to Teach Grammatical Forms to Children with Low-Symptom Severity Autism Spectrum Disorder. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 28(2), 650-663.
- Finestack, L. H. (2018). Evaluation of an Explicit Intervention to Teach Novel Grammatical Forms to Children with Developmental Language Disorder. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 61 (8), 2062-2075.
- Finestack, L. H. & *Satterlund, K. E. (2018). Current practice of child grammar intervention: A survey of speech-language pathologists. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 27 (4), 1329-1352.
- Finestack, L. H., O’Brien, K. H., Hyppa Martin, J., & Lyrek, K. A. (2017). The evaluation of a personal narrative language intervention for school-age children with Down syndrome. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
- Finestack, L. H.& Fey, M. (2017). Translation and implementation research in the Development of evidence-based child language intervention. In R. G. Schwartz (Ed.), Handbook of Child Language Disorders, 2nd Edition. New York: Psychology Press.
- Finestack, L. H. (2015). Vocabulary, grammar, and syntactic language profiles of adolescents with Down syndrome and relevant interventions. In R. H. Bahr & E. R. Silliman (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Communication Disorders. Taylor and Francis.
- Finestack, L. H., Payesteh, B., Rentmeester Disher, J. & Julien, H. M. (2014). Reporting language sampling procedures. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 57(6), 2274-2279.
- Finestack, L. H. (2014). Language learning of children with typical development using a deductive metalinguistic procedure, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 57(2), 509-523.
- Finestack, L. H., Sterling, A. M., & Abbeduto, L. (2012). Discriminating Down syndrome from fragile X syndrome based on language ability. Journal of Child Language, 40(1), 244-265.
- Finestack, L. H., Palmer, M., & Abbeduto, L. (2012). Macrostructural Narrative Language of Adolescents and Young Adults with Down Syndrome or Fragile X Syndrome. American Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 21, 29-46.
- Finestack, L. H., & Abbeduto, L. (2010). Expressive language profiles of verbally expressive adolescents and young adults with Down syndrome or fragile X syndrome. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 53, 1334-1348.
- Fey, M. E., Finestack, L. H., Gajewski, B. J., Popescu, M., & Lewine, J. D. (2010). A preliminary evaluation of Fast-ForWord Language as an adjuvant to conventional language intervention. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 53, 430-449.
- Finestack, L. H., & Fey, M. E. (2009). Evaluation of a deductive approach to teach grammatical inflections to children with language impairment. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 18, 1-14.
- Mihai Popescu, M., Fey, M. E., Lewine, J. D. Finestack, L. H., & Popescu, E. A. (2009). N400 responses of children with primary language disorder: Intervention effects. NeuroReport, 20, 1104-1108.
- Finestack, L. H., Richmond, E. K., & Abbeduto, L. J. (2009). Language development in individuals with fragile X syndrome. Topics in Language Disorders, 29(2), 133-148.
- Warren, S. F., Fey, M. E., Finestack, L. H., Brady, N. C., Bredin-Oja, S. L., & Fleming, K. K. (2008). Longitudinal effects of low intensity responsivity education/prelinguistic milieu teaching for young children with developmental delays, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 51(2), 451-470.
- Finestack, L. H., Fey, M. E., Catts, H. W. (2006). Pronominal reference skills of second and fourth grade children with language impairment. Journal of Communication Disorders, 39, 232-248.
- Fey, M. E., Warren, S. F., Brady, N., Finestack, L. H., Bredin-Oja, S. L., Fairchild, M. L., Sokol, S. B., & Yoder, P. J. (2006). Early effects of prelinguistic milieu teaching and responsivity education for children with developmental delays and their parents. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 49, 526-547.
- Fey, M. E., Long, S. H., &Finestack, L. H., (2003). Ten principles of grammar facilitation for children with specific language impairment. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 12, 3-15.