George A Sheets
Classical & Near Eastern Studies
245 Nich Hall
216 Pillsbury Dr SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- BA with Honors: Latin, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1970.
- PhD: Classical Studies, Duke University, Durham, NC, 1974.
- JD magna cum laude: Law, William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN, 1990.
- Historical Linguistics
- Latin and Greek literature
- Roman Law
- GRK/LAT 5705: Historical/Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin
- CNES 5013/LAW 6029: Introduction to Roman Law
- CNES 1903: Freshman Seminar: "Famous Trials"
- CNES 1003: World of Rome
- GRK 5716: History of Greek
- LAT 5717: History of Latin
- LAT 5701: Latin Prose Composition
- GRK 5701: Greek Prose Composition
- GRK 3/5/8xxx: Varous Authors and Seminars
- LAT 3/5/8xxx: Various Authors and Seminars
- CNES 1002: World of Greece
Research & Professional Activities
- Editorial Referee: American Journal of Archaeology, American Journal of Philology, Classical Journal, Classical and Modern Literature, Transactions of the American Philological Association, Helios; Penn State University Press, Scholars Press (APA Textbooks), Bryn Mawr Commentaries, Cambridge University Press , 1979 - date
- Consultant: Educational Testing Service: content of advanced placement examinations for Latin
- Panel Member for External Department Reviews: Dept. of Classics & Religious Studies, University of Nebraska Lincoln; Department of Foreign Languages, Iowa State University
- External Evaluator for Tenure and/or Promotion Candidates: University of North Carolina Chapel Hill; Colorado State University; University of North Carolina Greensboro; Carleton University, Ottawa (CA)
- Mediator: periodic mediation services in employment disputes between University faculty and administration
- Consultant: Minnesota Science Museum: training docents for visiting Pompeii exhibit,
- Latin Translation of Legal Texts: litigation services to area firms,
- Consultant: Stillwater Highschool: ancient Greek history ,
- Consultant: Area businesses: naming new products,
- Sheets, George A (2012). Casebook on Roman Property Law = Casebook zum rí¶mischen Sachenrecht, 10th ed., by H. Hausmaninger and R. Gamauf (MANZ, Wien, 2003) translated with introduction and supplementary notes. Oxford University Press. Image
- Sheets, George A (2012). Common Law Comparisons with Roman Property Law, Oxford University Press (USA) Academic Group Web Site: www.oup.com/us/romanpropertylaw.
- Sheets, George A (2007). Elements of Style in Catullus. Blackwell’s Companion to Catullus, 190-211.
- Sheets, George A (2005-2006). Distinguishing Cases and Conditions in Roman Legislation. Revue internationale des droits de l’antiquité, 52, 361-375.
- Sheets, George A (2001). Rhythm in Catullus 34. Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome, 46, 11-21.
- Sheets, George A (1994). Conceptualizing International Law in Thucydides. American Journal of Philology, 115, 51-73.
- Sheets, George A (1983). Plautus and Early Roman Tragedy. Illinois Classical Studies, 8.2, 195-209.
- Sheets, George A (1983). Ennius Lyricus. Illinois Classical Studies, 8.1, 22-33.
- Sheets, George A (1981, 1993). Herodotus Book I. Hackett Publishing Co. (Bryn Mawr Commentaries).
- Sheets, George A (1981). The Dialect Gloss, Hellenistic Poetics, and Livius Andronicus. American Journal of Philology, 102, 58-78.
- Sheets, George A (1979). The Dialectological Implications of Secondary Mid-Vowels in Greek. American Journal of Philology, 100, 559-567.
- Sheets, George A (1975). Palatalization in Greek. Indogermanische Forschungen, 80, 118-168.
- Award for Excellence in College Teaching, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 2001
- Rome Prize Fellowship (NEH Postdoctoral), American Academy in Rome, 1984 - 1985
- President's Award for Outstanding Service, University of Minnesota2013