Gordon D Hirsch
Educational Background & Specialties
- M.A., Ph.D.: University of California-Berkeley.
- B.A.: Cornell University.
- Victorian literature
- The novel
- Psychological approaches to literature
- Literature and economic history
- EngL 5250: 19th-Century Literature & Culture
- EngL 8170: 19th-Century British Studies
- EngL 3004: Historical Survey of British Literature
- EngL 3161: Victorian Literature & Culture
- EngL 3007: Shakespeare
- EngL 3020: Studies in Narrative
- EngL 3960: Senior Seminar
Research & Professional Activities
- Associate Chair: English Department , 2003 - 06
- University of Minnesota, Professor: 1988 - Present
- Director: Honors Program, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota , 1989 - 2000
- University of Minnesota, Associate Professor: 1976 - 88
- University of Minnesota, Assistant Professor: 1971 - 76
- University of Minnesota, Instructor: 1970 - 71
- The Stevenson-Osbourne Collaboration: Hirsch, Gordon, Ed. Caroline McCracken Flesher, Modern Language Association, Approaches to Teaching the Works of Robert Louis Stevenson, 162-67, 2013.
- Locating RLS in Relation to Brander Matthews's and Walter Besant's Theories of Literary Collaboration in the Production of Popular Fiction: Hirsch, Gordon, Journal of Stevenson Studies, 8: 97-107, 2011.
- The Fiction of Lloyd Osbourne: Was this “˜American Gentleman’ RLS’s Literary Heir: Hirsch, Gordon, Journal of Stevenson Studies, 4: 52-72, 2007.
- Trollope's The Last Chronicle of Barset: Memory, Depression, and Cognitive Science: Hirsch, Gordon, Louella Hirsch, Mosaic: a Journal for the Interdisciplinary Study of Literature,, 39: 165-79, 2006.
- Tontine Insurance,Commercial Culture, and Stevenson and Osbourne's The Wrong Box, Hirsch, Gordon D., Robert Louis Stevenson, Writer of Boundaries. Ed. Richard Ambrosini and Richard Dury, Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 83-94, 2006.
- The Travels of RLS as a Young Man: Hirsch, Gordon, Victorian Newsletter, 90: 1-7, 2001.
- Ardor and Shame in Middlemarch , Hirsch, Gordon D., Ed. Joseph Adamson and Hilary Clark, Albany: SUNY Press, Scenes of Shame: Psychoanalysis, Shame and Writing, 83-99, 1998.
- Robert Louis Stevenson: Hirsch, Gordon D., Ed. Barbara Brothers and Julia Gergits, Detroit: Bruccoli, Clark, Layman, Dictionary of Literary Biography: British Travel Writers, 1876-1909, 268-88, 1997.
- Shame, Pride and Prejudice, Hirsch,Gordon D., Mosaic, 25: 63-78, 1992
- Frankenstein, Detective Fiction, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde , Hirsch, Gordon D., Chicago: U of Chicago Press, Jekyll and Hyde After One Hundred Years, 1988.
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde After One Hundred Years, Hirsch, Gordon D. and William Veeder, Editors, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1988.
- University of Minnesota Academy of Distinguished Teachers, 2000 - present
- Horace T. Morse/University of Minnesota Alumni Association Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education, 2000