Joan C Tronto
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Princeton University, 1981.
- M.A.: Princeton University, 1976.
- A.B.: Oberlin College, 1974.
- POL1201: Ideas and Ideologies
- POL8260: Political Theory Beyond the Western Canon
- POL4210: Feminist Political Theory and Politics
- POL4210: Women in Western Political Thought
- POL4253 Late Modern Political Theory
- POL3235W: Democracy and Citizenship
- POL8251: Ancient and Medieval Political Theory
- Science and Politics of Global Warming
- van Nistelrooij, Inge , Petruschka Schaafsma, and Joan C. Tronto. 2014. "Ricoeur and the Ethics of Care." Medicine Health Care and Philosophy 17: 485-91: Tronto, Joan, van Nistelrooij, Inge , Petruschka Schaafsma, Medicine Health Care and Philosophy, 17 485-91, 2014.
- Caring Democracy: Markets, Equality and Justice [Translated and republished in Korean, 자상한민주주의 2014]. Tronto, Joan, NYU Press, Author, 2013. Image
- ?? ? ????. Tronto, Joan, Hee-Kang Kim, translator, Author, 2014.
- Democratic Care Politics in an Age of Limits: Tronto, Joan, Routledge, S. Razavi and S. Staab, eds., Global Variations in the Political and Social Economy of Care: Worlds Apart., 29-40, 2012.
- Partiality Based on Relational Responsibilities: Another Approach to Global Ethics: Tronto, Joan, Ethics and Social Welfare , 6,3 (September) 303-316, 2012.
- Le risque ou le “care”? Tr. Fabienne Brugére. (Paris: Presses Universitaires de France, 2012). 57 pp.
- “Caring About Care Workers: Caring Solutions to an Issue of Global Justice“ in Rianne Mahon and Fiona Robinson, eds., The Global Political Economy of Care: Integrating Ethics and Social Politics, (Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press, forthcoming, 2011).
- “Privatizing Neo-Colonialism: Migrant Domestic Care Workers, Partial Citizenship, and Responsibility,“ in H. M. Dahl, A. Kovalainen, M. Markera, eds. Europeanization, Care and Gender [tentative title] (Basingstoke: Palgrave, forthcoming, 2011).
- “Creating Caring Institutions: Politics, Plurality, and Purpose,“Ethics and Social Welfare 4,2 (July2010: 158-171.
- “’The Servant Problem’ and Justice in Households,“Iris: European Journal of Philosophy and Public Debate, 2, 2 (April 2010): 67-86.
- “Informed Consent as a Grant of Authority,“ H. Lindemann, M. Verkerk, M. Walker, eds. Naturalized Bioethics (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2008): 182-198.
- “Is Peace Keeping Care Work?“ in Peggy DesAutels and Rebecca Whisnant, eds. Feminist Global Ethics, Lanham MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2008; pp 179-200.
- With Stephen Leonard, “The Genders of Citizenship,“American Political Science Review, 101,1 (February 2007): 33-46. Co-winner, First Annual Okin/Young Prize for Best Published Article in Feminist Political Theory, 2008.
- “Care as the Work of Citizens: A Modest Proposal.“Women and Citizenship, ed. M. Friedman, Oxford University Press, (2005): 130-145.
- “Frantz Fanon.“Contemporary Political Theory, 3 (December 2004): 245-52.
- “Time’s Place,“Feminist Theory 4,2 (August 2003): 119-138.
- “The Nanny Question in Feminism,“Hypatia 17, 2 (Spring 2002): 34 – 61.
- “Does Managing Professionals Affect Professional Ethics? Competence, Autonomy, and Care“ in P. Desautels and J. Waugh, eds., Feminists Doing Ethics (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2001).
- “Age Segregated Housing as a Moral Problem: An Exercise in Rethinking Ethics“ in Margaret Urban Walker, ed. Mother Time (Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 1999): 261-277.
- Women Transforming Politics: An Alternative Reader ed. Cathy Cohen, Kathy Jones, Joan Tronto (New York: New York University Press, 1997).
- "Caring as the Basis for Radical Political Judgments," Hypatia 10, 2 (Spring 1995): 141-149.
- Moral Boundaries: A Political Argument for an Ethic of Care. New York, Routledge, 1993. [Translated and republished:Confini morali: Un argomento politico per L’ethica della cura, A cura di Allessandra Facchi, Tr. Nicola Riva. Reggio Emilia: Edizioni Diabasis, 2006] [Translated and republished:Une monde vulnérable : Une proposition politique pour fonder l’éthique du care. Tr. Hervé Maury, Paris : La Découverte, 2009] [Translated and republished: Γιαμιαπολιτικήτηςμέριμνας (care) σ’ένανευάλωτοκόσμο. Athens : Polity, 2011]
- "Changing Goals and Changing Strategies: Varieties of Women's Political Activities (Review Essay),"Feminist Studies 17, 1 (Spring 1991): 85-104. [Reprinted in: Heidi Hartmann and Claire Moses, eds., U.S. Women in Struggle> (Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 1994)].
- with Berenice Fisher, "Toward a Feminist Theory of Caring," in E. Abel and M. Nelson, eds., Circles of Care (Albany: SUNY Press, 1990): 36-54.
- "Women and Caring: Or, What Can Feminists Learn From Caring?" in A. Jaggar and S. Bordo eds., Gender/Body/Knowledge: Feminist Reconstructions of Being and Knowing (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1989): 172-187. [Reprinted in: Virginia Held, ed, Justice and Care: Essential Readings in Feminist Ethics (Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1995): 101-116; and, excerpted and reprinted in: Carol C. Gould, ed., Key Concepts in Critical Theory: Gender (Atlantic Highlands, NJ: Humanities Press, 1997): 282-89; reprinted in: James P. Sterba, ed., Ethics (Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1997)]
- "Political Science and Caring: Or, The Perils of Balkanized Social Science," in Women and Politics 7,3 (Fall 1987): 85-97.reprinted as: M. J. Falco, ed., Feminism and Epistemology: Approaches to Research in Women and Politics (New York: The Haworth Press, 1987): 85-97.
- "Beyond Gender Difference to a Theory of Care,"Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 12,4 (Summer 1987): 644- 663. [Reprinted in: Mary Jeanne Larrabee, ed., An Ethics of Care: Feminist and Interdisciplinary Perspectives (New York: Routledge, 1993): 240-257]. [Reprinted in: Will Kymlicka, ed., Justice and Political Philosophy, 2 vols. (London: Edward Elgar, 1995).
- "Law and Modernity: The Significance of Max Weber's Sociology of Law,"Texas Law Review 63,3 (November 1984):565- 577.
- Scholar of the College, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2013 - 2016
- Brown Medal for Democracy, 2015
- Honorary Doctorate, University for Humanistic Studies , 2014
- First Annual Okin/Young Prize for Best Published Article in Feminist Political Theory, 2008.
- Fulbright-Senior Lecturer, Bologna Italy, 2007