Jeanne H Kilde
Classic/Near Eastern Studies
Room 245 NichH
216 Pillsbury Dr S E
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: American Studies, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1991.
- M.A.: English, University of Wisconsin--Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI, 1982.
- Theory and method in the study of religion
- Religion in America
- Religious architecture and sacred space
- Women and religion
- RELS 3001W/5001 Theory and Methods in the Study of Religion
- RELS 1002 Introduction to the Study of Religion
- RELS 3621 The Christian Left and Right in America
- RELS 3070 Religion, Rites, and Sites
- RELS 3070 Witches, Seers, and Saints
Research & Professional Activities
- Convener, Space, Place and Religious Meaning Consultation: American Academy of Religion , Fall 2007 - Present
- Conference organizer and program committee chair: American Society for Church History Spring Meeting , April 2015
- Editorial Board Member: Journal for Religion, Space, and Locality , 2015
- Editorial Board Member: Space, Place, and Religion Series. Bloomsbury Academic , 2015
- Houses of Worship in the Twin Cities, 1849-1924: A history of religious activities and communities in the Twin Cities from 1845 to 1930.
- [Oxford] Handbook of Religious Space: Editor-in-chief for this collection of essays.
- American Religioscapes: Historical study of religious landscapes in US cities.
- Eero Saarinen's College Chapels: Analysis of the impact of Saarinen's work on religious change in the US.
- Kilde, Jeanne Halgren. "For Sale or Let: Religious Space as Commodity in a Globalized World." Sacred Architecture in East and West (2019): 161-183. Link
- Kilde, Jeanne Halgren. "Protestant Theologies and the Problem of ‘Sacred Space’: Divine/Human Relationships in American Chapels & Churches since 1945." Actas del Congreso Internacional de Arquitectura Religiosa Contemporánea 5 (2017): 2-23. Link
- Kilde, Jeanne Halgren. "Approaching Religious Space: An Overview of Theories, Methods, and Challenges in Religious Studies." Religion and Theology 20 (2013): 183-201.
- Kilde, Jeanne Halgren. "The Park 51/Ground Zero Controversy and Sacred Sites as Contested Space." Religions 2 (2011): 297-311. Link
- Kilde, Jeanne Halgren. Nature and Revelation: A History of Macalester College. University of Minnesota Press, 2010. Link
- Sacred Power, Sacred Space: An Introduction to Christian Architecture and Worship. Kilde, Jeanne, Oxford University Press, Author, 2008. Link
- Kilde, Jeanne Halgren. ""Material Expression and Maternalism in Mary Baker Eddy’s Boston Churches: How Architecture and Gender Compromised Mind.“." Material Religion: The Journal of Objects, Art and Belief 1:2 (2005): 164-97.
- Rapture, Revelation and the End Times: Exploring the Left Behind Series. Kilde, Jeanne, Bruce David Forbes, Palgrave, Co-Author, 2004. Link
- When Church Became Theatre: The Transformation of Evangelical Architecture and Worship in Nineteenth-Century America. Kilde, Jeanne, Oxford University Press, Author, 2002. Link
- Kilde, Jeanne Halgren. "“The “˜Predominance of the Feminine’ at Chautauqua: Rethinking the Gender-Space Relationship in Victorian America.“." Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 25 (Winter 1999): 449-86.
- 2005 Jane Dempsey Douglas Prize for Best Article on the history of women and Christianity. American Society for Church History