Joseph R Allen
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Chinese Literature, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- Taipei City
- Chinese poetry and poetics
- Colonialist Photography
- ALL 3361W - Maps, Pictures and Writing in the Representation of Taiwan
- ALL 5261 - The Work of Translation: Theory, Function & Practice
- ALL 3334 - Voices from Ancient China: The Book of Songs and the Songs of the South
- ALL 3334 - Writing (in) East Asian Cutures
Research & Professional Activities
- Chair, Asian Languages and Literatures: 2013
- Director of Chinese Flagship, University of Minnesota: 2014
- Director, Consortium for the Study of the Asias: Title VI, NRC , 2006
- Founding Chair, Asian Languages and Literatures: 2000 - 2008
- Chair of Executive Committee, East Asia Before 1900. Modern Language Association, : 2011
- National Editorial Board, Texts and Translations, Modern Language Association: 2006 - 2010
- Director, Chinese Language Flagship, University of Minnesota:
- Colonial Photography: Examination of early Japanese colonial photography in Taiwan in terms of ideological and ethnic constructions
- Chinese Literature Textbooks in the Twentieth Century: The role of the high-school Chinese Literature textbook in the formation of a shared set of canonical texts in popular culture, in China, Taiwan, and abroad. Funded by Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs Fellowship and the University Minnesota Imagine Fund.
- "Picturing Gentlemen: Japanese Portrait Photography in Colonial Taiwan." Journal of Asian Studies, November, 2014, 1009-1042.
- Taipei: City of Displacements. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2012. Winner of the Joseph Levenson Prize in Chinese Studies, Post 1900, 2014. Image
- “From Literature to Lingerie: Classical Chinese Poetry in Taiwan Popular Culture.“Popular Culture in Taiwan: Charismatic Modernity. London and New York: Routledge, 2010, 65-85.
- "Why Learning to Write Chinese Characters is a Waste of Time: A Modest Proposal." Foreign Language Annals.. 41.2 (Summer, 2008), 237-51.
- Sea of Dreams: The Selected Writings of Gu Cheng. Translated and Edited. Allen, Joseph, New York: New Directions Publishers, Author, 2005.
- “Taipei Park: Signs of Occupation": Allen, Joseph, Journal of Asian Studies, 66.1 (2007) 159-99.
- “Mapping Taipei: Representation and Ideology“: Allen, Joseph, Studies on Asia, II, 2.2 (Fall 2005) 5-80, plus illustrations. Link
- The Book of Songs. Edited with Additional Translations and Postface. Translated by Arthur Waley. New York: Grove Press, 1996. Revised 2000.
- College of Liberal Arts Dean's Medal, University of Minnesota, 2016
- Center for Chinese Studies Fellowship, National Library, Minister of Foreign Affairs., 2012
- Faculty Research Grant, Ministry of Education, Taiwan., 2009
- Fulbright Senior Scholar Award, 1999