Prof Diane Katsiaficas
Diane Katsiaficas is a visual artist who develops multi media narrative works, and a professor in the Art Department at the University of Minnesota. She uses a variety of techniques and technologies in her work--from digital imaging to cut tin cans. She has exhibited work in numerous exhibitions throughout the United States and Europe.
Educational Background & Specialties
- B.A.: Chemistry, Smith College, Northampton, MA, 1968.
- M.A.T.: Art Education, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1974.
- M.F.A.: Painting, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1976.
- Drawing, Painting and Mixed Media work
- digital drawing
- contemporary theory
- site works
- developing visual narratives
- Greek culture and art
- ArtS 1102 - Beginning Painting
- ARTS 1905 - Freshman Seminar: Mothers in the Visual Arts
- ArtS 3107/5107 - Digital Drawing
- ArtS 5110 - Advanced Drawing
- ArtS 5400 - Seminar: Concepts and Practices in Art
- ArtS 5405 - Visual Narrative Structures
- ArtS 5990 - Independent Study in Art
- ArtS 8990 - M.F.A. Creative Thesis
- ArtS 3444 - Major Project
Research & Professional Activities
- Selected Public Collections: Bellevue Art Museum, Bellevue, WA; City of Seattle, WA; City of Renton, WA; City of Tacoma, WA; Frederick Weisman Art Museum, Minneapolis, MN; Fulbright Program, Athens & Thessaloniki, Greece; King County Art in Public Places Collections, WA; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis, MN; Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art, Thessaloniki, Greece; Municipal Art Gallery, Thessaloniki, Greece; Museum of Photography, Thessaloniki, Greece; University of Hawaii, Hilo; University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA; Safeco Insurance Company, Seattle, WA; Seattle Art Museum, WA; Tacoma Art Museum, WA; Target Center, Minneapolis, MN; USA TODAY, Washington, DC; Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN; Washington State Art in Public Places Collection; Yuma Art Center, AZ:
- Selected Residencies/Visiting Artist Positions: 2008 Dodeca Cultural Center, Montevideo, Uruguay 2005 Holter Museum of Art, Helena, Montana Partners in America, Montevideo, Uruguay 1999 University of Hawaii/Manoa, Oahu, HI 1998 Haystack School of Crafts, Maine 1995 University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana 1993 Evergreen College, Olympia, WA 1991 Massachusetts College of Art, Boston; St. John's College, Sante Fe, NM:
- Selected Commissions: 2010 Cover Drawing: Martin McKinsey, Hellenism and the Postcolonial Imagination: Yeats, Cavafy, Walcott. Fairleigh Dickinson University Press. 2009 Commission with Niko Lembesis for 5 ceramic sinks, Archontiko Parissi Hotel, Lafkos, Greece 2004 "Home Sweet Home Again", (large drawing), Public Housing Fund, Minneapolis, MN 2002 Cover Drawing: Valerie Miner, Blood Sisters. University of Michigan Press, 2003 1998 Goethe Institute, Seattle, WA; wall installation 1996 Mixed Media Wall Installation, Fulbright Foundation Office, Thessaloniki, Greece. 1994 Drawings for the cover :Rainy Lake, by Mary Rockcastle, Grey Wolf Press 1990 Design Center for American Urban Landscape, Minneapolis, MN 1988 Cemetery Bench, American Farm School, Thessaloniki, Greece. 1987 Entrance, Glendale Financial Center, Lincor Corporation and the City of Glendale, AZ. 1986-85 East Police Precinct Lobby, Art in Public Places Design Team with Singleton Associates, Architects, City of Seattle, WA:
- Selected Publications:
- Mantero, Gerardo, _________: lo importante es la idea. La Pupila. Ministerio De Educacion y Cultura, Uruguay, October 2010/n.14, p 3-7 (in Spanish)
- Abbe, Mary. Water, water everywhere, Minneapolis Star Tribune, March12, 2010, p.E8
- Authored: “Artists work with many media to make the intangible visible“, essay for brochure accompanying the exhibition Tangible Digital Matter, Wilson Library, UMN, Jan 29- May15. 2010
- Abbe, Mary. Water, water everywhere, Minneapolis Star Tribune, March12, 2009, p.E8
- Drantaki, Chrysa. Strong presence in Lafkos, Diadromos the weekly publication of Thessalia newspaper, p.2 August 8, 2009 (in Greek)
- Abbe, Mary. Fresh air, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Oct 4, 2009, p. E16
- The Rule of Art, New Selected Artworks by Postmodern Artists from China, Korea and the USA, exh. cat, Korean Cultural Service; Beijing, China, 2009 Evidence, exh. cat, Hellenic Centre, London, England, 2008 Cadillac Cicatrix, Issue two, Winter 2008.
- Cover image and frontispiece. “Uncensored songs: a tribute to Sam Abrams.“ Cadillac Cicatrix, Issue one, Summer 2007 19th International Photography Exhibition, exh. cat., Thessaoniki Museum of Photography, Greece Andrikopoulou, Eleni. “ 19th Photography Meeting: Travelers and other Histories“ (in Greek), Makedonia, May 13,2007, p.14
- Quiet Time/ Love’s Labour, exh. cat, Katherine Nash Gallery, University of Minnesota, 2007 9th International Shoebox Sculpture Exhibition, exh. cat. University of Hawaii Art Gallery, Honolulu, 2006.
- Geer, Suvan. 'Quiet Time at 18th St. Arts Center", Artweek, April 2005, Vol.36, issue 3. pgs. 19, 20
- Sotiropoulou, Iota. “Stn.skia tis elias“, Angelioforos. Jan.17, 2004 (in Greek)
- Kosmidou, Zoe. The Power of Visual Logos: Greek Women Artists. Athens: International Center for the Arts and Nature, 2003: 47, 55, 56,132-33.
- Art Moves, exh. cat., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 2003 (publication coordinator and exhibitor)
- Hemmings, Jessica. "Hair and Contemporary Fiber", Craft Arts International, No. 57, 2003:113-115.
- Fallon, Michael. “ A Sense of Being in Transit.“ Fiberarts, Vol.26, No.5 (March/April 2000): 53-57.
- Silberman, Rob, http://www2.artsmia.org/wiki/index.php/Essay:_Hair_Stories, 2000