Prof Luis A Ramos-Garcia
Spanish and Portuguese Studies
211 Folwell Hall
9 Pleasant Street SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Spanish and Portuguese: Literature and Theater, University of Texas, Austin, TX, 1984.
- Human Rights and Politics: Latin America and Spain
- -Human Rights Across the Disciplines: Theater, Art, Political Science, Literature.
- -Contemporary Latin American and Peninsular Theaters
- -United States Latino Theater and Cultures
- -Latin American Shantytown cultural manifestations: music, literature and popular discourse
- Cultural Studies: Spain and Latin America
- Contemporary Latin American and Peninsular literature: novel, poetry, cultural discourses
- Andean Studies and Indigenous literature: Concentration in Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, and Bolivia
- -Caribbean Spanish Studies: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic
- Gender studies
- -Latin American popular music
- Women studies
- Span 3920 - Topics in Spanish-American Literature
- Span 3920H - Honors: Topics in Spanish-American Literature
- Span 3972V - Honors: Graduation Seminar
- Span 3972W - Graduation Seminar
- Span 5920 - Topics in Spanish-American Drama
- Span 5532 - Literature and National Disintegration
- Span 5529 - National Affirmation and Transnationalization
- Span 5528 - Popular Literary Conciousness: 1990-1950
- Span 3653 - U.S. Latino Theater
- Span 5920 - Topics in Spanish-American Literature
- Span 5990 - Directed Research
- Spanish 8100 - Research in Sociohistorical Approaches to Spanish Literature
Research & Professional Activities
- Director of THE STATE OF IBEROAMERICAN STUDIES SERIES: this is an on-going symposium (eleven versions since 1995) which features top scholars from outstanding universities and international theater practicioners , 1995 - 2006
- Editorial Board Member of Hispanic Issues: Consultant , May 2005 - May 2006
- Co-Director of Ideologies and Literature: Promotes the publication of scholarly studies in the Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian literatures and theater , May 2004 - May 2010
- Chair: Search Committee, Spanish and Portuguese Department Studies: Searching for tenure-track/tenured professor , September 2005 - April 2006
- Digitalization of The Hugo Salazar del Alcazar Video Theater Collection, which gathers more than 350 performances by several theatrical groups in Peru:
- Jewish playwrights in Peru and the Jewish question: collecting, cataloging, and analyzing plays written by the relatively small Peruvian Jewish community writers, June 2004 - December 2005
- Political Prison Theater in Peru: rescuing, cataloging, and analyzing plays and political discourse written by Shining Path authors, December 2003 - December 2005
- U.S Latino Theater Political writing and producing: I will continue with this project which requires a search for U.S. Latino theatrical pieces and its influence in an emergent U.S. Hispanic population
- Working with MOTIN-PERU: an international exchange program with an organization that represents 300 theatrical groups in Peru, 1995 - 2010
- Service Learning: working with the Teatro del Pueblo, a US Latino theater organization in Minneapolis-St. Paul, 2001 - 2006
- Organizer of the V Latino / Latin American Political Theater: Festival and Symposium around Latino / Latin American Women in Theater, February 2006 - March 2006
- Theater Producer: Since 1995 I have produced a number of U.S. Latino and Latin American plays within the umbrella of THE STATE OF IBEROAMERICAN STUDIES SERIES, January 1995 - January 2006
- Ideologies and Literature: Scanning process of all Ideologies & Literature publications (an international journal in Spanish, Portuguese, English) in order to create a website, January 2002 - January 2008
- Human Rights and Theater: Organize symposia / theater festivals around Latino / Latin American issues, January 2002 - January 2010
- Ideologies and Literature Publications (Era III): To promote scholarly studies in the Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian literatures linking aesthetics theories, genre studies, and textual analysis with socio-economics and political issues, May 2004 - January 2010
- Editor, Publisher: Design book covers for, edit, and publish Latin American theater books,
- Bilingual Anthology of Contemporary Spanish Poetry: Circa 1970-1990. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, The Edwin Mellen Press, 1997.
- A South American Trilogy: Osman Lins, Felisberto Hernandez and Luis Fernando Vidal. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Studia Hispanica Editors, 1982.
- Washing the Cow's Skull: Contemporary Texas Poetry in Translation. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Prickly Pear Press, 1981.
- The Newest Peruvian Poetry in Translation. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Studia Hispanica Editors, 1979.
- Problemas del SIDA en el teatro latino de los EEUU. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Textos Teatrales, 1997.
- VOCES DEL INTERIOR; NUEVA DRAMATURGIA PERUANA. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Instituto Nacional de Cultura; Teatro Nacional del Peru, 2001.
- The State of Latino Theater in the United States: Hibridity, Transculturation, and Identity. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Routledge, 2002.
- Obra teatrales de Maria Teresa Zúñiga. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Instituto Nacional de Cultura: Teatro Nacional del Peru, 2004.
- NOTAS SOBRE TEATRO. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Miguel Rubio, Yuyachkani Theatrical group, 2002.
- La Nave de la memoria: Cuatrotablas, 30 años de teatro peruano. Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Mario Delgado, Asociacion Cuatro Tablas, 2003.
- Ramos-Garcia, Luis, Beatriz Rizk, FIT de Cadiz and The State of Iberoamerican Studies Series, University of Minnesota, Co-Author, 2007.
- President's Multicultural Research Award, University of Minnesota
- Peruvian National Poetry Award for Young Writers, 1968
- City of Austin Distinguished Citizen Award for establishing cultural links between Hispanic and anglo populations, 1978
- President's Faculty Multicultural Research Award, Office of Multicultural and Student Affairs, University of Minnesota, 2008-2009 - June 2009