Lois B Cucullu
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: English Literature, Brown University, 1998.
- modern British and American literature
- modernism and modernity
- narrative and novel studies
- Victorian literature and culture
- gender studies and theory
- history and production of knowledge
- popular culture and media
- EngL 8510 - 'The Novelty of the Novel,' A Critical and Cultural History of the Novel (studies in criticism and theory)
- EngL 8190 - 1910 and The Culture of Modernism (twentieth-century anglophone literatures and cultures)
- EngL 5150 - Fin de Sií¨cle (readings in nineteenth century literature)
- EngL 5250 - "Empire and English Masculinity," Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture
- EngL 3960 - ““˜Girls on the Run’ or the Female Picaresque“ (senior seminar)
- EngL 3180H - “The Wilde Nineties“ (studies in contemporary literature and culture)
- EngL H3020 - Emptying the Nest: Domestics, Dandies, Deviants, and New Women (studies in narrative)
- EngL 3671 - Honors, The Novel: Woolf, Joyce, and the Metropolitan Novel
- EngL 3161 - The London Metropolis: From Boz to Dalloway
Research & Professional Activities
- Conference Co-Organizer : “Generation Modernism: Resetting Modernist Time,“ University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands , 11-12 May 2012
- Chair, Nominations and Elections Committee: Modernist Studies Association , 2005-2008
- Program Committee: Modernist Studies Association , 2003
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Seminar, The Oscar Wilde Archive, UCLA’s William Andrews Clark Library : June-July 2007
- W. M. Keck Foundation Fellow: The Huntington Library, 2000 - 2001
- Andrew Mellon Fellow: Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, June 2002
- “A Single Man and the American Maurice” in The American Isherwood. Ed. James Berg and Christopher Freeman. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2015. 5-23.
- “Fashioning the Modern Woman’s Sexual Turn From Salomé to Ulysses, 1892-1922” inWilde Discoveries: Histories, Traditions, Archives. Ed. Joseph Bristow. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2013. 260-288.
- “Wilde and Wilder Salomés: Modernizing the Nubile Princess from Sarah Bernhardt to Norma Desmond.“ Modernism/modernity 18.3 (Fall 2011): 495-524.
- “The Adolescent Dorian Gray: Oscar Wilde’s Proto-Picture of Modernist Celebrity.“ Modernist Star Maps: Celebrity, Modernity, Culture. Ed. Jonathan Goldman and Aaron Jaffe. Hampshire: Ashgate Press, 2010. 19-36.
- “Downsizing 'the Great Divide': A Reflexive Approach to Modernisms, Disciplinarity, and Class.“ Disciplining Modernism. Ed. Pamela Caughie. Houndsmills, Hampshire and New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. 253-272.
- “Sleep Deprived and Ultra Modern: How Novels Turned Dream Girls into Insomniacs.“ Novel, A Forum On Fiction 42:2 (Summer 2009): 138-144.
- Over-Eating: Pilgrimage’s Food Mania and the Flanérie of Public Foraging: Cucullu, Lois, Scott McCrackern, Modernism and the Everyday, 2.1 , Summer 2006. Link
- "Exceptional Women, Expert Culture, and the Academy." Rhetorical Woman: Roles and Representations: Cucullu, Lois, University of Alabama Press, 2005.
- Expert Modernists, Matricide, and Modern Culture: Woolf, Forster, Joyce. Cucullu, Lois, Palgrave Macmillan, Author, 2004. Link
- Exceptional Women, Expert Culture, and the Academy: Cucullu, Lois, Signs, Journal of Women in Culture and Society, 29.1 , Fall 2003.
- “˜Only Cathect’: Queer Heirs and Narrative Desires in Howards End: Cucullu, Lois, University of Minnesota Press, Imperial Desire: Dissident Sexualities and Colonial Literature, 2003.
- English Department Faculty Research/Travel Award, October 2015
- International Travel Grant, Office of International Programs, University of Minnesota, May 2012
- Imagine Grant, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2012
- William Andrews Clark Memorial Library Fellowship, UCLA, July-August 2011
- Mayers Fellowship, The Huntington Library, June 2011
- Single Semester Leave, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, Spring 2011
- Grant-in-Aid Fellowship, The Graduate School, University of Minnesota, 2008 - 2009
- Best Director of Graduate Studies Award, The Graduate School, University of Minnesota, 2008
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, The Huntington Library, 2005 - 2006
- McKnight and Faculty Summer Research Fellowship, July 2004 - August 2004
- Fulbright Fellowship, Council for the International Exchange of Scholars, September 1988 - May 1989