Sara Mack PhD
Educational Background & Specialties
- B.A.: University of Wisconsin.
- M.A. : University of Minnesota.
- Ph.D.: University of Minnesota.
- Second Language Acquisition
- SPAN 1004, Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN 1022, Beginning Spanish
- SPAN 3107, Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics
- SPAN 3407, Sociolinguistics of the Spanish Speaking World
Research & Professional Activities
- Internationalizing Teaching and Learning Faculty Cohort: 2016 - 2017
- CLA Career Readiness Initiative Faculty Cohort: 2017 - 2018
- P&A Women's Council: 2017 - present
- CLA Career Readiness Initiative Faculty Advisory Board: 2018 - present
- Mack, S. (forthcoming). Of Intersectionality, Replicability, and Holistic Perspectives: Methodological considerations for Spanish Sociophonetic Perception Studies. To appear in W. Chapell (Ed.), Recent Advances in the Study of Spanish Sociophonetic Perception. Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins.
- Sweet, G., Mack, S., and Olivero-Agney, A. (2019). Where am I? Where am I going, and how do I get there?: Increasing learner agency through large-scale self-assessment in language learning. In S. Gass & P. Winke (Eds.), University-level Foreign Language Proficiency: Goals, Assessment, and Articulation. New York: Springer.
- Sweet, G., Mack, S., & Olivero-Agney, A. (2018). Self assessment in language courses: Does in-class support make a difference? In I. Alexander & R. Poch (Eds.), Innovative Learning and Teaching: Experiments Across the Disciplines (94-103). Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota.
- Mack, S., and Sweet, G. (2017). “I know what I need to do and now I am going to do it”: Taking the Next Step and Empowering Students with BOSSA. The Language Educator, 12, 3, pp. 37-39.
- Mack, S. (2016). Variation and perception of sexual orientation in Caribbean Spanish. In E. Levon & R. Mendes (Eds.), Language, Sexuality, and Power: Studies in Intersectional Sociolinguistics. London: Oxford University Press.
- Mack, S. (2013). Explicit and implicit methods in quantitative analyses of sociophonetic variation, Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics, 6, 1, 165-78.
- Mack, S., and Munson, B. (2012). The influence of /s/ quality on perception of men's sexual orientation: Explicit and implicit measures of the 'gay lisp' stereotype, Journal of Phonetics, 40, 1, 198-212.
- Mack, S. (2011). A sociophonetic analysis of /s/ variation in Puerto Rican Spanish. In L. Ortiz-López (Ed.), Selected Proceedings of the 13th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium (pp. 81-93). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project. Full text available at http://www.lingref.com/cpp/hls/13/index.html.
- Mack, S. (2010). A sociophonetic analysis of perception of sexual orientation in Puerto Rican Spanish. Laboratory Phonology, 1, 1, 41-64.
- CLA Outstanding Service Award 2015