Martin W Sampson III
Educational Background & Specialties
- PhD: Political Science, Indiana University, 1979.
- International relations and foreign policy
- Mideast politics
- U. S. foreign policy
- Pol 1026 United States Foreign Policy
- Pol 3872 International Evironmental Politics
- Pol 4867w U.S. Foreign Policy and the Middle East
- Pol 4878w: The Israeli-Palestinian Situation
- Pol 8412 US Foreign Policy
- Pol 8460 Political Psychology and Foreign Policy
- Theories of Foreign Policy
- Middle East Comparative Politics
- Oil Politics
Research & Professional Activities
- Member, University Writing Enriched Curriculum Committee: 2008 - 2010
- Faculty Legislative Liaison to the Minnesota State Legislature: 2003 - 2010
- Faculty Consultative Committee: member ex officio , 2002 - 2010
- University Senate: elected member , 2003 - 2005
- Benedict Distinguished Visiting Professor: Carleton College , Fall 2004
- Chair, University of Minnesota Senate Committee on Educational Policy, University of Minnesota: 2002 - 2003
- Key Note Speaker: Freshman Convocation, U of M/ Morris , September 2002
- Member: University of Minnesota Senate Committee on Educational Policy , 2000 - 2003
- Chair and Member, University of Minnesota Graduate School Social Sciences Policy and Review Council: 2000 - 2002
- Member, Academy of Distinguished Teachers: All-Campus Executive Board: 2000 - 2002
- Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Political Science, University of Minnesota: 1998 - 2003
- Director, International Relations Program, Institute of International Studies: 1988 to 1992 - 1997 to 1998
- Chair, Foreign Policy Section/ International Studies Association: 1988 - 1989
- Vice Chair, Foreign Policy Section/ International Studies Association: 1987 - 1988
- E.U. standards of democracy as applied to Middle East governance:
- Presentations to religious and civic groups, TV and radio interviews on topics of Middle East politics, energy security, and/or U.S. foreign policy: 1977 - 2010
- "Israeli Critical Literature", adult education course at Mt Zion Temple, 2005 - 2006
- Black Sea Environmental Cooperation: In Search of Track Four?: Sampson, Martin, Woodrow Wilson Center Report: Environmental Change and Security Project, 2000.
- Special Section on Culture and Foreign Policy: Sampson, Martin, Valerie M. Hudson and Martin Sampson, Political Psychology, 20(4) , 1999.
- Culture is More than a Static Residual: Introduction to the Special Section on Culture and Foreign Policy: Sampson, Martin, Valerie M. Hudson, Political Psychology, 20(4) 667-675, 1999.
- Foreign Policy Restructuring. Sampson, Martin, Eds. J. Rosati , J. Hagen, and M Sampson, University of South Carolina Press, Co-Editor, 1994.
- Black Sea Environmental Cooperation: States and the Most Seriously Degraded Regional Sea: Sampson, Martin, Bogazici Journal: Review of Social, Economic and Administrative Studies, 9(1) , 1995.
- Morse Amoco/Alumni Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 1987
- President's Award for Outstanding Service, 2008