Charlotte A Melin
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph. D.: Germanic Languages & Literatures, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1983.
- M.A.: Germanic Languages & Literatures, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1979.
- B.A.: Literature, Bennington College, Bennington, Vermont, 1974.
- Environmental Humanities
- Foreign language education and program direction
- Second Language Acquisition
- Postwar German poetry
- German-American literary relations
- Translation (theory and practice)
- German 8300/English 8090 Transatlantic Environmental Humanities
- German 8020 / Problems in Literary and Cultural History, Ecocrticism and Nature Poetry
- German 8240, 20th-Century German Literature and Culture Seminar (Poetry)
- GSD 5103 / FRITT 5999 / SPPT 5999, Common Language Methods Seminar
- German 3651 / 5610 Thinking Environment: Green Culture, German Literature and Global Debates
- German 3104W / Introduction to Literature, The Nature of Literature / Literature of Nature
- German 3501 / Contemporary Germany: Food, Energy, Politics
- GSD 3451, Major Project Seminar
Research & Professional Activities
- Chair, Department of German, Scandinavian and Dutch, University of Minnesota: 2006-2009; - 2015-2019
- Modern Language Association ADFL Executive Committee: 2016 - 2019
- MLA Committee on the Teaching of Language: 2007 - 2011
- Director of Language Instruction, Department of German, Scandinavian and Dutch, University of Minnesota: 1997 - 2005
- American Association of University Supervisors and Coordinators (AAUSC) German section head: 2004 - 2006
- Kaschnitz, Enzensberger, and Sandig: The Ecopoetics of Water Pollution: Melin, Charlotte, Studies in 20th & 21st Century Literature, 40:1 Article 2, 2016.
- “Speaking the Languages of the Humanities”: Melin, Charlotte, in: Gordon Hutner and Feisal Mohamed, eds. , Rutgers UP, A New Deal for the Humanities: Liberal Arts and the Future of Public Education, 101-14, 2016.
- Claiming the Language Ecotone: Translinguality, Resilience, and the Environmental Humanities: Melin, Charlotte, Natalie Eppelsheimer, Uwe Küchler, Resilience, 1.3 , 2014. Link
- From Frameworks to Oversight: Components to Improving FL Program Efficacy: Melin, Charlotte, co-author with Carol Klee, Dan Soneson, Cengage, AAUSC Yearbook, 131-52, 2014.
- The FL Methodology Seminar: Benchmarks, Perceptions, and Initiatives: Melin, Charlotte, Co-author with Stacey Katz Bourns and Charlotte Melin, ADFL Bulletin, 43.1 91-100.
- Program Sustainability through Interdisciplinary Networking: On Connecting Foreign Language Programs with Sustainability Studies and Other Fields: Melin, Charlotte, Ed. Janet Swaffar and Per Urlaub, Springer, Transforming Postsecondary Foreign Language Teaching in the United States, 103-22, 2014.
- "German Women’s Poetry Circa 1900: A Forgotten Anthology": Melin, Charlotte, The German Quarterly, 87.1 49-66, 2014.
- With or Without: Reading Postwar German Women Poets. Melin, Charlotte, Northwestern University Press, Author, 2013.
- "Climate Change: A ‘Green’ Approach to Teaching Contemporary Germany": Melin, Charlotte, Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German, 46.2 185-99, 2013.
- ‘Morgens riecht der Fluß aseptisch’: Decomposing Nature in the Anthology Laute Verse: Melin, Charlotte, Colloquia Germanica, 44.2 215-32, 2011.
- Stoerfall at 25: ‘Relevance’ and the Teaching of Environmental Literature: Melin, Charlotte, Neues Curriculum, 2011. Link
- "Notes from the Field: Toward a Model for Saving German Studies": Melin, Charlotte, Neues Curriculum, 2010. Link
- "Unpacking Contemporary German Poetry: Hinsehen, Lesen, Hoeren": Melin, Charlotte, Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German, 43.2 133-43, 2010.
- “Between the Lines: When Culture, Language and Poetry Meet in the Classroom“: Melin, Charlotte, Language Teaching: Surveys and Studies, 43.3 349-65, 2010.
- "Teaching Graduate Students about Teaching—Beyond the MLA Report": Melin, Charlotte, Neues Curriculum, 2009. Link
- "The Language Program Director in Curricular and Departmental Reform: A Response to the MLA Ad Hoc Report": Melin, Charlotte, Glenn S. Levine, Corrine Crane, Monika Chavez, and Thomas A. Lovik, MLA, Profession 2008, 240-54, 2008.
- Poetic Maneuvers: Hans Magnus Enzensberger and the Lyric Genre. Melin, Charlotte, Northwestern University Press, Author, 2003.
- German Poetry in Transition (1945-1990), a critical anthology of new translations, edited and annotated. Melin, Charlotte, University Press of New England, 1999.
- English Grammar for Students of German, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th eds. Melin, Charlotte, Cecile Zorach; 5th ed. revised by Elizabeth Kautz, Olivia and Hill Press, Author, 2009.