Charlotte A Melin
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph. D.: Germanic Languages & Literatures, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1983.
- M.A.: Germanic Languages & Literatures, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1979.
- B.A.: Literature, Bennington College, Bennington, Vermont, 1974.
- Environmental Humanities
- Foreign language education and program direction
- Second Language Acquisition
- Postwar German poetry
- German-American literary relations
- Translation (theory and practice)
- German 8300/English 8090 Transatlantic Environmental Humanities
- German 8020 / Problems in Literary and Cultural History, Ecocrticism and Nature Poetry
- German 8240, 20th-Century German Literature and Culture Seminar (Poetry)
- GSD 5103 / FRITT 5999 / SPPT 5999, Common Language Methods Seminar
- German 3651 / 5651 Thinking Environment: Green Culture, German Literature and Global Debates
- German 3104W / Introduction to Literature, The Nature of Literature / Literature of Nature
- German 3501 / Contemporary Germany: Food, Energy, Politics
- GSD 3451, Major Project Seminar
Research & Professional Activities
- Chair, Department of German, Scandinavian and Dutch, University of Minnesota: 2006-2009; - 2015-2020
- Modern Language Association ADFL Executive Committee: 2016 - 2019
- MLA Committee on the Teaching of Language: 2007 - 2011
- Director of Language Instruction, Department of German, Scandinavian and Dutch, University of Minnesota: 1997 - 2005
- American Association of University Supervisors and Coordinators (AAUSC) German section head: 2004 - 2006
- Foreign Language Teaching and the Environment: Theory, Curricula, Institutional Structures. Melin, Charlotte, Modern Language Association, Editor, 2019. Link
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. "Cold War Nature: The Emergence of Hyperobjects in German Poetry." Studies in 20th and 21st Century Literature 43.1 (2018):
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. "Cultivating a Poetics of Knowledge: Enzensberger’s Mausoleum, the Botanical, and the Anthropocene." Monatshefte 110.4 (2018): 600-16.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. "Kaschnitz, Enzensberger, and Sandig: The Ecopoetics of Water Pollution." Studies in 20th & 21st Century Literature 40:1 (2016): Article 2.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann, in: Gordon Hutner and Feisal Mohamed, eds. . "“Speaking the Languages of the Humanities” ." A New Deal for the Humanities: Liberal Arts and the Future of Public Education (2016): 101-14.
- Natalie Eppelsheimer, Uwe Küchler. "Claiming the Language Ecotone: Translinguality, Resilience, and the Environmental Humanities." Resilience 1.3 (2014): Link
- From Frameworks to Oversight: Components to Improving FL Program Efficacy: Melin, Charlotte, co-author with Carol Klee, Dan Soneson, Cengage, AAUSC Yearbook, 131-52, 2014.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann, Co-author with Stacey Katz Bourns and Charlotte Melin. "The FL Methodology Seminar: Benchmarks, Perceptions, and Initiatives." ADFL Bulletin 43.1 91-100.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. "Program Sustainability through Interdisciplinary Networking: On Connecting Foreign Language Programs with Sustainability Studies and Other Fields." Transforming Postsecondary Foreign Language Teaching in the United States Ed. Janet Swaffar and Per Urlaub (2014): 103-22.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. ""German Women’s Poetry Circa 1900: A Forgotten Anthology"." The German Quarterly 87.1 (2014): 49-66.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. With or Without: Reading Postwar German Women Poets. Northwestern University Press, 2013.
- "Climate Change: A ‘Green’ Approach to Teaching Contemporary Germany": Melin, Charlotte, Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German, 46.2 185-99, 2013.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. "‘Morgens riecht der Fluß aseptisch’: Decomposing Nature in the Anthology Laute Verse." Colloquia Germanica 44.2 (2011): 215-32.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. ""Unpacking Contemporary German Poetry: Hinsehen, Lesen, Hoeren"." Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German 43.2 (2010): 133-43.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. "“Between the Lines: When Culture, Language and Poetry Meet in the Classroom“ ." Language Teaching: Surveys and Studies 43.3 (2010): 349-65.
- Glenn S. Levine, Corrine Crane, Monika Chavez, and Thomas A. Lovik. ""The Language Program Director in Curricular and Departmental Reform: A Response to the MLA Ad Hoc Report"." Profession 2008 (2008): 240-54.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. Poetic Maneuvers: Hans Magnus Enzensberger and the Lyric Genre. Northwestern University Press, 2003.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann. German Poetry in Transition (1945-1990), a critical anthology of new translations, edited and annotated. University Press of New England, 1999.
- Melin, Charlotte Ann, Cecile Zorach; 5th ed. revised by Elizabeth Kautz. English Grammar for Students of German, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th eds. Olivia and Hill Press, 2009.