Mandy R Menke
Spanish & Portuguese Studies FolH
214K Folwell Hall
9 Pleasant Street SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Hispanic Linguistics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2010.
- M.A.: Hispanic Linguistics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2006.
- B.S.: Elementary Education, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA, 2001.
- B.S.: Spanish Education, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA, 2001.
- second language acquisition
- Spanish phonology
- bilingual and immersion education
- multiliteracies instruction
- Second language writing
- SPAN 1001: Beginning Spanish
- SPAN 1002: Beginning Spanish
- SPAN 1022: Alternate Second-Semester Spanish
- SPAN 1003: Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN 3015: Spanish Composition and Communication
- SPAN 3107: Introduction to the Study of Hispanic Linguistics
- SPAN 3704: Spanish Sociolinguistics
- FRIT 5999/ GSD 5103 / SPPT 5999: Common Methods Seminar
- SPAN 3730: The Impact of the Context of Learning on the Acquisition of Spanish as a Second Language
- SPAN 5930: Advancedness and the Foreign Language Learner of Spanish
- SPAN 5991: The Acquisition of Spanish as a First and Second Language
Research & Professional Activities
- Committee on Second Language Education: September 2014
- Organizing Committee: Conference on the Second Language Acquisition of Spanish & Portuguese Phonology February 2008
- Organizing Committee: CARLA and CAL Immersion Conference, Immersion Education: Pathways to Bilingualism and Beyond , October 2007 - October 2008
- Analysing foreign language instructional materials through the lens of the Multiliteracies Framework: Menke, Mandy, Kate Paesani, Language, Culture, and Curriculum, 2018.
- Evolving notions of literacy and its role in university foreign language instruction: A qualitative study of non-tenure-track faculty: Menke, Mandy, L2 Journal, 10 2, 2018. Link
- Development of Spanish Rhotics in Spanish-English Bilingual Children in the United States: Menke, Mandy, Journal of Child Language, 45 788-806, 2018.
- Voice onset time and the child foreign language learner of Spanish. In J. MacDonald : Menke, Mandy, John Benjamins, Contemporary trends in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics: Selected Papers from the Hispanic Linguistic Symposium 2015, 237-258, 2018.
- The Acquisition of Spanish Vowels by Two-way Bilingual Immersion Learners. Menke, Mandy, Author, 2017.
- How native do they sound?: An acoustic analysis of the Spanish vowels of elementary Spanish immersion students: Menke, Mandy, Hispania, 98 804-824, 2015.
- Las estrategias comunicativas en tareas orales por pareja: evidencia del aula universitaria: Menke, Mandy, Michael Vrooman, Actas del XXV Congreso Internacional de la Asociación para la Enseñanza del Español como Lengua Extranjera (ASELE) , 643-653, 2015. Link
- Preparing today's foreign language teachers: The role of digital literacies: Menke, Mandy, Pettes Guikema, Janel, CALICO, Digital literacies in foreign language education: Research, perspectives, and best practices, 265-285, 2014.
- An initial examination of the Spanish vowels produced by Spanish-English bilingual children: Menke, Mandy, Southwest Journal of Linguistics, 28 98-135, 2010.
- Second language Spanish vowels production: An acoustic analysis: Menke, Mandy, Face, Timothy, Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics, 3 181-214, 2010.
- Language and learning disabilities in immersion education: Educators' top questions and research-based, practitioner-informed responses. Menke, Mandy, Fortune, Tara W., University of Minnesota, Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition, Co-Author, 2010.
- Acquisition of the Spanish voiced spirants by L2 learners: Menke, Mandy, Face, Timothy L., Cascadilla Press, Selected Proceedings of the 11th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium, accepted.
- Perception of irony by L2 learners of Spanish: Menke, Mandy, Shively, Rachel and Manzon, Sandra, Issues in Applied Linguistics, accepted.
- Single-Semester Research Leave, University of Minnesota, August 2018 - December 2018
- U of Minnesota Grant-in-Aid, May 2017 - December 2018
- Interdisciplinary Studies of Writing Grant, May 2017 - August 2017
- Imagine Fund Special Event Award, May 2017 - February 2018
- Pew Teaching Excellence Award, December 2013
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition, 2008-2009
- Graduate School Research Grant
- Graduate Research Partnership Program (GRPP) Award, May 2007 - August 2007