Mandy R Menke
Spanish & Portuguese Studies FolH
214K Folwell Hall
9 Pleasant Street SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Hispanic Linguistics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2010.
- M.A.: Hispanic Linguistics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2006.
- B.S.: Elementary Education, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA, 2001.
- B.S.: Spanish Education, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA, 2001.
- second language acquisition
- Spanish phonology
- bilingual and immersion education
- SPAN 1001: Beginning Spanish
- SPAN 1002: Beginning Spanish
- SPAN 1022: Alternate Second-Semester Spanish
- SPAN 1003: Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN 3015: Spanish Composition and Communication
- SPAN 3107: Introduction to the Study of Hispanic Linguistics
- SPAN 3704: Spanish Sociolinguistics
- FRIT 5999/ GSD 5103 / SPPT 5999: Common Methods Seminar
- SPAN 3730: The Impact of the Context of Learning on the Acquisition of Spanish as a Second Language
Research & Professional Activities
- Committee on Second Language Education: September 2014
- Organizing Committee: Conference on the Second Language Acquisition of Spanish & Portuguese Phonology February 2008
- Organizing Committee: CARLA and CAL Immersion Conference, Immersion Education: Pathways to Bilingualism and Beyond , October 2007 - October 2008
- Pettes Guikema, Janel (2014). Preparing today's foreign language teachers: The role of digital literacies. Digital literacies in foreign language education: Research, perspectives, and best practices, 265-285.
- Menke, Mandy R (2010). An initial examination of the Spanish vowels produced by Spanish-English bilingual children. Southwest Journal of Linguistics, 28, 98-135.
- Menke, Mandy R, Face, Timothy (2010). Second language Spanish vowels production: An acoustic analysis. Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics, 3, 181-214.
- Fortune, Tara W. (2010). Language and learning disabilities in immersion education: Educators' top questions and research-based, practitioner-informed responses. University of Minnesota, Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition.
- Acquisition of the Spanish voiced spirants by L2 learners: Menke, Mandy, Face, Timothy L., Cascadilla Press, Selected Proceedings of the 11th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium, accepted.
- Perception of irony by L2 learners of Spanish: Menke, Mandy, Shively, Rachel and Manzon, Sandra, Issues in Applied Linguistics, accepted.
- Menke, Mandy R (2015). How Native Do They Sound? An Acoustic Analysis of the Spanish Vowels of Elementary Spanish Immersion Students. Hispania,
- Pew Teaching Excellence Award, December 2013
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition, 2008-2009
- Graduate School Research Grant
- Graduate Research Partnership Program (GRPP) Award, May 2007 - August 2007