Classical & Near Eastern Studies
245 Nich Hall
216 Pillsbury Dr SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Princeton University, 1984.
- B.A.: Cambridge University, 1977.
- B.A.: Yale College, 1975.
- Greek and latin poetry
- Hellenistic literature
- history of the book
- Clas 1042/1042H - Greek and Roman Mythology
Research & Professional Activities
- Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Classical and Near Eastern Studies, University of Minnesota:
- Crowd-sourced papyrological transcriptions: Minnesota Futures. $250,000, July 2011- August 2013. "The Data Deluge: Applying Data Processing Techniques Derived from Astrophysics Citizen Science Projects to Research Problems in Egyptian Papyrology." PI Lucy Fortson (Astronomy and Physics); Nita Krevans and Philip Sellew co-PIs (CNES); Anne-Françoise Lamblin, co-PI (Supercomputing Institute; Digging into Data (NEH), $175,000, January 15 2014 - January 14 2016: "Resurrecting Early Christian Lives: Digging in Papyri in a Digital Age". PI Philip Sellew, co-PIs Nita Krevans, Lucy Fortson (Astronomy and Physics), Anne-Françoise Lamblin (Supercomputing Institute). In cooperation with Oxford University (Dirk Obbink, PI, and James Brusuelas). , 2011 - 2016
- Made several public appearances commenting on the 'Harry Potter' series:
- Dido, Hypsipyle, and the Bedclothes: Krevans, Nita, Hermathena, 173-4 175-83, 2003.
- Callimachus and the Pedestrian Muse: Krevans, Nita, Harder et al, Peeters, Hellenistica Groningana, 7 173-83, 2004.
- The Editor's Toolbox: Strategies for Selection and Presentation in the Milan Epigram Papyrus: Krevans, Nita, Gutzwiller, Oxford, The New Posidippus: A Hellenistic Poetry Book, 81-96, 2005.
- Is There Urban Pastoral? The Case of Theocritus XV: Krevans, Nita, Fantuzzi and Papanghelis, Brill, The Brill Companion to Greek and Latin Pastoral , 119-147, 2006.
- Poetic deathbeds: bookburning in Rome and Tudor England: Krevans, Nita, Hardie and Moore, Cambridge, Classical Literary Careers and their Reception, 197-208, 2010.
- Virgins and Brides in the Land of Brotherly Love: Krevans, Nita, Cusset et al, Peeters, Mythe et pouvoir à l'époque hellénistique (Hellenistica Groningana 18), 303-318.
- Award for Excellence in College Teaching, Classical Association of the Middle West and South, 2009
- Arthur "Red" Motley Exemplary Teaching Award, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2010
- American Philological Association, Award for Excellence in Collegiate Teaching, 2010
- Council of Graduate Students (University of Minnesota), President's Award for Contributions to Graduate Education, 2012