Robert S Schlauch
Speech Language Hearing Sciences
115 Shev H
164 Pillsbury Dr SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- B.S.: Speech Pathology and Audiology, University of Hawaii, 1979.
- M.S.: Audiology, University of Washington, 1982.
- Ph.D.: Speech and Hearing Science, University of Washington, 1987.
- hearing measurement
- cognitive influences on hearing
- diagnostic audiometry
- psychophysical procedures
- selective attention
- intensity and loudness coding in listeners with normal hearing and hearing loss
- Hearing loss caused by intense sounds
- SLHS 3306 - Hearing Science
- SLHS 5801 - Audiologic Assessment I
- SLHS 8801 - Audiologic Assessment II
- SLHS 8803 - Signals and Systems in Audiology
- SLHS 8805 - Hearing Science Foundations of Audiology
Research & Professional Activities
- Member, Acoustical Society of America:
- Member, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association:
- Member, American Auditory Society:
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, Department of Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences, Univesity of Minnesota: 2002 - 2015
- Director of Honors, Department of Speech-language-Hearing Sciences, University of Minnesota: 2000 - 2015
- Member, Student Academic Affairs Committee, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota: 2002 - present
- Elected Representative of the Physiological Acoustics and Psychoacoustics Technical Committee to the Acoustical Society of America: 2005 - 2007
- Publications Board, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association: 2001 - 2003
- American National Standards Insitute Working Group: Member and Chair of working groups for standards related to loudness and measuring intelligibility of speech over communication systems, respectively , 2002 - 2010
- Associate Editor: American Journal of Audiology , 2006 - 2007
- Editor, JSLHR-Hearing: 2007 - 2010
- Department Chair: 2015 - 2018
- Minnesota Speech Language Hearing Foundation Board Member: non-profit group that oversees monies for scholarships and education in the field, 2003 - 2009
- Critical Difference Table for Word Recognition Testing Derived Using Computer Simulation, Carney, E. and Schlauch, R.S., Journal of Speech,Language, Hearing Research , 50, 1203-1209, 2007.
- Mechanisms responsible for differences in perceived duration for rising-intensity and falling-intensity sounds, DiGiovanni, J.J. and Schlauch, R.S., Ecological Psychology, 19, 239-264, 2007.
- The effects of fundamental frequency contour manipulations on speech intelligibility in background noise. Miller, S., Schlauch, R.S., and Watson, P.J. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,128, 435-443 2010
- Are false positive rates leading to an overestimation of noised induced hearing loss? : Schlauch, Robert, and Carney, E., Journal of Speech Language Hearing Research, 54 679-692, 2011.
- The challenge of detecting minimal hearing loss in audiometric surveys,: Schlauch, Robert, and Carney, E., American Journal of Audiology , 21 106-119, 2012.
- A demonstration of improved precision of word-recognition scores: Schlauch, Robert, Anderson, E.S. and Micheyl, C., Journal of Speech, Language Hearing Research, 57 543-555, 2014.
- The effect of visual cues on the scoring of clinical word-recognition tests. Han, H.J., Schlauch, R.S. and Rao, A. American Journal of Audiology, 2014.
- Puretone Evaluation. Schlauch, R.S. and Nelson, P., Katz Handbook of Clinical Audiology, 7th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2015.
- Effective identification of functional hearing loss using behavioral threshold measures: Schlauch, Robert, Koerner, T. and Marshall, L., Journal of Speech, Language Hearing Research, 58 452-465, 2015.
- Perceptual Temperal Asymmetry Associated with Distinct ON and OFF Responses to Time-Varying Sounds with Rsing and Falling Intensity: A Magnoencephalography Study, Zhang, Y., Cheng, B., Koerner, T., Schlauch, R. Tanaka, K. et al. Brain Sciences 2016
- Pure-tone Spondee Threshold Relationships in Functional Hearing Loss, Schlauch, R., Han, H., Yue, TZ., & Carney, E., Jounral of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 60, 136-143, 2017
- National Institute of Health Research Service Award, 1988 - 1989
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation Scholarship, 1986
- Fellow, Acoustical Society of America, 2002
- Distinguished Alumnus Award (Dept of Speech and Hearing Sciences) University of Washington
- Fellow, American Speech-Language Hearing Association, 2011