Polly E Szatrowski
Institute of Linguistics .
S319 Elliott Hall
75 East River Pkwy
Educational Background & Specialties
- Japanese language and linguistics
- Jpn 5650 - Proseminar: Japanese Linguistics
- Ling 5900 - Topics in Linguistics: Structure of Japanese
Research & Professional Activities
- "Participant status and person restriction in Japanese co-construction," the Sante Fe Workshop on the Grammar-Pragmatics Interface, Sante Fe, NM: April 4, 2003 - April 5, 2003
- "The interactive construction of wadan in Japanese dyadic conversation," Association of Teachers of Japanese 2003 Seminar, New York, NY: March 27, 2003
- Association for Japanese Language Teaching, 18th Public Lecture course for Teaching Japanese: Teaching Conversation, Tokyo, Japan: June 22, 2003
- Organized panel for the Association of Teachers of Japanese 2003 Seminar on "Questions, Answers, etc.: The larger picture," New York, NY: March 27, 2003
- Editorial Board, Nihongo Bunpoo (Journal of Japanese Grammar), the journal of Nihongo Bunpoo Gakkai (The Society of Japanese Grammar): 2000 - present
- Reviewer, The Journal of Pragmatics: 2001
- Member, American Association of Applied Linguistics:
- Member, Association of Asian Studies:
- Member, Association of Teachers of Japanese:
- Member, Grant Review Committee, US National Science Foundation, Japanese Study Program: 1991
- Member, National Language Research Institute, John Hopkins University, Japanese Advisory Council: 1993 - 1994
- Director, Discourse Laboratory, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota: 2002 - present
- Member, CLA Committee on Second Language Education, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota: 1993 - 1997
- Chair, Japanese Languages, Literatures and Linguistics; Director of Graduate Studies; Coordinator, Japanese Language Program, University of Minnesota: 1998 - 2000
- Participated in organizing activities for Japan Week: 1994
- Organized a tea ceremony event at the Asian Conference: 1997
- Nihongo no danwa no koozoo bunseki-Kanyuu no danwa no sutoratezii no koosatu (Structure of Japanese conversation-Invitation strategies). Szatrowski, Polly, Kurosio Publishers, 1993.
- Nitibee in okeru animeesyon no sutoorii no katarikata to higengo koodoo no sooi (Differences in American and Japanese nonverbal behavior and retellings of the story of an animation), 187-201. Szatrowski, Polly, Soogooteki nihongo kyooiku o motomete, 2002.
- Genbun no roodoku wadan to tyookai yooyakubun to no kankee (Relation between acoustic characteristics of the oral reading of an editorial essay and its summaries). Szatrowski, Polly, Nihongo no bunsyoo/danwa ni okeru "dan" no koozoo to kinoo (Structure and function of dan 'meaning paragraphs' in Japanese spoken and written discourse), 202-216., 2000.
- Animeesyon no sutoorii o kataru sai no wadan to tyuusin hatuwa (Wadan 'stages' and central utterances in animation film narratives): Szatrowski, Polly, Hyoogen Kenkyuu, 76 33-39, 2002.
- Syntactic projectability and co-participant completion in Japanese conversation: Szatrowski, Polly, Berkeley Linguistic Society, 28 315-325, 2002.
- Conflict in harmonious Japan?: Myths and evidence from conversational interactions. Szatrowski, Polly, Kurosio Publishers, 2003.
- US Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Award, 1992 - 1993
- Invited Researcher at the National Language Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan, 1997 - 1998
- Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Program, US Department of Education, 2000 - 2001