Outstanding Alumni Awards
Alumni of Notable Achievement Award
The CLA Alumni of Notable Achievement (ANA) program was created in 1994 as part of our 125th anniversary to celebrate and honor the significant achievements and contributions of our alumni. All ANA honorees have been nominated by CLA alumni, faculty, staff, and friends and they are selected by a committee of past honorees.
Of the college's 160,000 living graduates, approximately 1% have been selected as recipients. By honoring our alumni, we recognize and celebrate not only their singular accomplishments but also the collective depth and breadth of their interests, talents, career paths and achievements in all sectors of society.
Honorees of 2018
- Jennifer S. Alstad, (BA ‘92, political science), creative entrepreneur and passionate Twin Cities community leader
- Margo F. Ashmore, (BA ‘78, journalism), admired Twin Cities community innovator and connector
- Jerr A. Boschee, (BA ‘66, English; MA ‘74, comparative literature), globally renowned founder and champion of the social enterprise movement
- Justin D. Felicetta, (BA ‘99, English), nationally-respected advocate of impact investment and community volunteer
- Dr. James H. Johnson, (PhD ‘72, psychology), multi-talented clinical psychologist and researcher, technology innovator, and business leader
- Lynn S. Krominga, (BA ‘74, German; JD ‘74), globally recognized expert in international regulations, licensing, branding and marketing
- Harold “Tuck” R. Langland, (BA ‘ 61, studio art; MFA ‘64, studio art), prolific and internationally-recognized sculptor of public installations
- James P. Lemke, (BA ‘89, international relations), expert in supply chain optimization and international business logistics for the food distribution industry
- Dr. Earl Lewis, (MA ‘81, history; PhD ‘84, history), respected scholar, higher education, and non-profit leader
- Dr. Alemayehu “Al” G. Mariam, (PhD ‘84, political science), venerable scholar of political science and law, attorney, and champion for Ethiopia
- Hon. Deborah “Debbie” L. Montgomery, (BA ‘71, public affairs; MA ‘72, public affairs), esteemed civil rights activist, law enforcement expert, and Twin Cities community leader
- Dr. Thomas E. Patterson, (PhD ‘71, political science), distinguished scholar of American politics and the press
- Nigel H. Purvis, (BA ‘87, political science), international expert in climate change and conservation policy
- Dr. John E. Troyer, (BA ‘96, theatre arts & political science; PhD ‘06, comparative studies in discourse and society), globally renowned scholar on death and bereavement care
- Dr. Kasisomayajula Viswanath, (MA ‘86, mass communication; PhD ‘ 90, mass communication), renowned scholar and teacher tackling health communication inequalities worldwide
Emerging Alumni Award
The CLA Emerging Alumni Award honors recent graduates who demonstrate leadership, creative excellence, community-mindedness, and who mirror the community at large.
Nominees must be alumni of the College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus who graduated within the past 10 years. They are selected annually by a committee consisting of CLA Alumni Society Board and CLA Student Board members.
Honorees of 2018
- Morgan T. Luther, (BA ‘14, psychology & political science), rising and talented national political professional
- McKenna J. Ewen, (BA ‘09, journalism & political science), enterprising journalist and news producer
- Eikoku Ikeno, (BA ‘11, Asian Languages & Literatures and history), attorney and champion for children’s rights
- Scott D. Wickland, (BA ‘10, global studies), courageous foreign service professional and military veteran