Declare a Major or Minor
Contact your department of interest
Degree-seeking undergraduate students are expected to enroll in and successfully complete courses that will move them toward degree completion in a timely manner.
In conjunction with the "Promoting Timely Graduation by Undergraduates" policy, students who are undeclared in the specified semester of enrollment (see below) will have a registration hold until they declare a major and a major program form is submitted to their college academic advising office.
you must declare a major no later than the end of your fourth semester of enrollment regardless of total credit completion.
Explore Your Options
- Being undecided is normal! Discuss your interests with your academic advisor, department advisors, and professors in your favorite classes.
- CLA offers over 60 majors! Take time to explore the many options you have. Investigate majors by looking at department websites and the Undergraduate Catalog for major requirements.
- Explore majors by taking introductory courses in several potential majors of interest. Many of these courses will also fulfill your liberal education requirements.
- Look at major department websites to find out how to declare that major. Some will require that you complete certain courses, attend an information session, or write a personal statement before you can declare the major.
- If you are planning to apply to a competitive program you should plan for another major option in case you are not admitted to your first choice major/program.
- Check out additional resources for exploring majors.